Q. Does 'rubella IgG reactive' indicate any infection?

Published on Mar 29, 2018

My wife had her last period two months back. We got married nine days later. Her period skipped for last month. Some bleeding is happening once in a day for past two days. But, it is in small amount only. We visited the doctor; she suggested tests. We did all the tests like CBC, Hb, rubella IgG, thyroid, and urine routine. Kindly explain what rubella IgG reactive means in the test. Is there any infection? We did pregnancy test also, which came negative.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

If pregnancy has been ruled out already, then the delay is likely to be stress induced. However, it is important to learn if she has any hormonal imbalances and ever had irregular menses or not with possible causes being hypothyroidism, hyperprolactinemia or PCOD (polycystic ovarian disease). Nevertheless, the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) indicate rubella IgG positive, which indicates previous infection, not recent or ongoing.

Secondly, the urine report shows urinary tract infection with WBC (white blood cells) and pus cells. So, she would require a short course of antibiotics for the same. It is suggested that she should get an ultrasound pelvis done to check for endometrial thickness and also for ovarian volume and follicular status.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

She does not have a history of skipping periods before. No hormonal imbalance has been reported. Is it required to test for rubella current status? Is it required to use antibiotics?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Antibiotics are not required for rubella but required for her urinary infection. As of now for at least five days. IgG rubella positive indicates past infection against which immunity has developed already. Also, it is seen that post marriage the menses tend to be irregular for 4 to 6 months. So, if the menses do not arrive naturally for another seven days, then she can opt for a withdrawal bleed with progesterone to resume her menses.

Antibiotics for urinary tract infection treatment

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from urinary tract infection. I get these once in every couple of years. I need to get an antibiotic to get rid of it. Please help.  Read Full »

Can rubella of 3 IU/mL affect my pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, My rubella is 3 IU/mL non-reactive and I am six-weeks pregnant. Do I have rubella infection? Are there any chances of any birth defects?  Read Full »

How can blood show HSV-1 IgG positive without any symptoms?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 35 year old male. I weigh 68 Kg and my height 5'5". I am in a healthy status. History: No episodes of herpes except chickenpox in childhood. No infection of HIV - clinically tested every 6 months since last 7 years. I am straight and only 1 relationship with spouse. Both me and ...  Read Full »