Q. I have an impacted wisdom tooth. Can I wait a week before going to a dentist?

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 18, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 15, 2020

If i have an impacted wisdom tooth can I wait a week before going to a dentist? I’m 16 and there’s pain every so often but it isn’t unbearable. no wisdom teeth ever being removed or anything, my dentist told me last year that I would need them removed at some point in the future. I’m going on vacation but don’t know if this is an emergency.

#

Hello,Welcome to ICLINIQ This is your Dentist -

I went through your query and attached image , Am very sorry for the discomfort. As a Specialist am here to help you.

The image depicts inflammation due to errupting Third molar in lower jaw but the whitist area looks like an Ulcer due to trauma from upper third molar which seems to be tilted a bit towards the cheek . The image is not clear upon the upper third molar area if possible Upload another image that includes Third molar of upper jaw too.

Since You are just 16 The lower third molar can errupt of its own as It generally erupts within 18-21 years of age there a long time. Till then If the upper third molar is grinded a bit that would prevent it poking the gum of lower jaw will bring immediate relief.

My advice Is Surely You can wait for a week as I will be prescribing medicationd that will.ease all.your discomfort but Its quite misleading to extract a Erupting third molar at just 16, years of age. You just need a bit if grinding to upper third molar and your problem will subside spontaneously.

I would recommend -

1. Cap Sporidex 500 mg ( cephalexin 500mg) 1 Cap bd x 5 days
  2. Tab Ibuprofen 1 tab bd x 5 days
  3. Cap Omeprazole 1 Cap bd before meal x 5 days
  4. Betadine mouthwash ,gargle in lukewarm water 2-3 times a day.
  5. Brush twice gently and avoid sticky or sweet food as much possible.

Start the medications STAT. You donot need extraction its too early for your age. Just need a bit of grinding to Upper right third molar . Kindly Upload an image that contains tooth of upper jaw too. That will be more helpful. I will be waiting. I hope it was helpful. I will be waiting to recieve the image kindly oblige. Let me know if any further query ,am here to help any time.

Have Good Day . God bless you.

Errupting lower right third molar and Trauma from Upper right third molar causing the discomfort and pain.

Kindly Upload another image of the area that includes upper right third molar also.

Medications for now. After a Week get the Upper right third molar grinded and wait till 18 years atleast . You will know for sure if its erupting or not . Rushing and getting extracted is not a good choice .

A Simple grinding can solve all your discomforts. Start the medications as soon as possible.

I will be waiting for the image Ma'am. Kindly do not delay.

|