Q. My wife has calf pain that aggravates in the night. Why?

Dr. Pooja Pardhi
Published on Apr 12, 2016

My wife, who is 30 years old, having pain in both legs in the calf area. She is having pain throughout the day, but seems to be aggravated during night. It started two to three weeks back, but it has become severe now. She is also having pain in both heels. Please help.

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

#

I have gone through your query and can understand your health concern.

• Pain in both legs could be due to many reasons:
  1. Disease of nerves, blood vessels, deficiency of potassium can cause pain in calf and heels.
  2. Impaired blood supply to legs can also cause pain in legs.
  3. Other reasons are varicose veins, deep vein thrombosis and low calcium.
  • She needs proper physical examination to know the cause. I suggest you to consult a physician and check her serum potassium and serum calcium.
  • She may need Doppler of both legs depending on physical examination.
  • She can take analgesic like tablet Acenac-P (combination of Aceclofenac and Paracetamol) twice daily for five days.
  • She can apply hot water bag over painful area thrice daily.
  • Give her potassium rich diet like coconut water. Also, give her calcium rich diet.
  • Sometimes, spine related problems can also cause such pain which will become clear on MRI. But, the need of MRI will be decided by the physician after physical examination only.

For further clarifications consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

If I had six Paracetamol tablets and seven of Mefenamic acid, how bad can it be?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 18 years old. What if I have six tablets of 500 mg Paracetamol (Crocin advance) and seven tablets of 500 mg Mefenamic acid (Ponstan forte) at one go (within five minutes)? How bad will it be? What will the side effects be?  Read Full »

Paracetamol tablets for tooth pain

Query: Hello Doctor, Can I take two Amoxicillin 500 tablets for my first dose of medicines for a tooth infection? Is there anything at home that will take the pain away?  Read Full »

Can anxiety cause high D-dimer levels?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been having some shortness of breath. I am really bad with panic attacks. Routine blood work shows D-dimmer still elevated after eight months. Last year, the results were in a normal range under 230 in the hospital. A few months later after I had a stillbirth, it was elevated t...  Read Full »