Q. What is your suggestion about bilirubin level 15. 36 in a 9 days old baby?

Dr. Deepak Patel
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 03, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Our baby boy was born 9 days ago. Mom and the infant, both have B plus blood group. His weight at the time of birth was 3.03 kg. After five days, his bilirubin level was 13.06. Today, the bilirubin level was 15.36. Our doctor advised vitamin D3 oral dose for one year. What is your suggestion?

#

I can understand your concerns.

• Your child is now 9 days old. Since, both mother and child have same blood group, there are less chances of pathological hyperbilirubinemia.
  • On the 9th day of life, the bilirubin level of 15.36 does not require phototherapy and only repeat bilirubin after two days is recommended.
  • However, we have to look for some more things like whether it is direct or indirect bilirubinemia. What is DCT (direct Coombs test) report?
  • I advise you to attach the full report so that a clearer answer can be given.
  • If all things are normal, then this is physiological bilirubinemia and only repeat bilirubin level after two days needs to be done.

Revert back with the report to a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

I have attached the reports for your reference.

#

• I have seen the report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and this is indirect bilirubinemia. There is no need of phototherapy right now.
  • Repeat bilirubin levels after 2 days. Take care.

For further doubts consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|