Q. I have a lump below Adam's apple with pain in throat. What is the problem?

Dr. Pradeep Patidar

I am a 33-year-old male. I am a non-smoker and non-drinker. I have a lump below Adam's apple. I have swollen lymph nodes with pain in the throat. The pain radiates up to the ears. There is a change in voice, hoarseness, and have difficulty in swallowing both solid and liquid foods. I have loss of appetite, breathlessness, and fatigue. CT scan with contrast was clear. I was given an antibiotic (Augmentin). But there is no relief.

Dr. Pradeep Patidar

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your CT (computed tomography) scan is clear. Below Adam's apple, there is a thyroid gland, and a nodule in the thyroid is quite common. But the rest of the features suggests infectious mononucleosis. You need to do blood tests to rule out the disease. The lump is required to be examined in person for a proper assessment. But a loss of appetite and fatigue may favor a thyroid disease or infectious mononucleosis.

You can take antiviral drugs like Valacyclovir and steroids like Wysolone to get relief from symptoms. But I recommend you get the diagnosis confirmed first. It is also called as kissing disease as it spreads through close contact. Take the medicines mentioned above. Tell me if you are relieved or not and then continue the medication further.

|