Q. We are undergoing infertility treatment. Will this treatment cause birth defects in our child?

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar
Published on Mar 06, 2015 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My wife is 24 years old and she has PCOD. We have been trying to conceive for the past 2 years, but no result. We went to infertility specialist six months ago. He started the treatment through medicines and one IUI. But, all the treatments failed. Then, he decided to go for IVF. Our doctor said that my semen sample is normal. In this IVF cycle 15 eggs were retrieved. Out of the 15 eggs they decided 8 eggs for IVF and 7 eggs for ICSI. Later, the doctor said that all 8 IVF eggs failed to be fertile because egg layer was very strong and And all the 5 eggs with ICSI are fertile. He transferred two embryos today and said that the embryo quality is good. Is ICSI a safe process? Will it affect the IQ of the baby or cause any birth defect? What about the fertility status during their adulthood? And finally, why is egg layer so thick?

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I can understand your concerns.

• ICSI (Intra-Cytoplasmic Sperm Injection) is the procedure in which a single sperm is selected and injected into an egg.
  • ICSI is associated with a very negligible increase in birth defects (For example: rate of birth defects with natural conception in infertile couple if considered around 3%, with ICSI it will be around 3.1%).
  • ICSI does not affect a child's IQ at all.
  • Regarding whether a child will have any problem in adulthood, it depends on the genetic make up of the couple. Through ICSI, the same genes are transmitted to the baby.
  • ICSI procedure as such, does not lead to any problem in adulthood of the baby conceived (same applies to the fertility and the child should not face any additional problem).
  • Thickness of egg covering (zona) is mostly genetically determined (same as one's height, complexion, etc).
  • You can leave all the concerns about ICSI aside and hope for a positive result as of now.

Revert back to an infertility specialist online for further follow up --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/infertility-specialist

Suffering from PCOD and taking medicines, but still it has not reduced. Can you help ?

Query: Dear Doctor, I am a 29 year old female suffering from PCOD, taking medicines from past 1 year. But still it has not reduced. I was into Metformin and Folic acid. At the same time I have also taken medicines for conception (i.e, clomiphene). Follicar study has been conducted for four times and only ...  Read Full »

Can a gay man father a child?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a gay, married to a woman and had sex with my wife. My question is can my sperms impregnate my wife? If it happens, my children will be straight or gay?  Read Full »

Causes of Male Infertility

Article Overview: This article tells the various reasons for male infertility. Read Article

In about 35 to 52 percent of childless couples, the male partner is the cause for infertility. This percentage is increasing in number nowadays because of the changes in the lifestyle of most of the males. Many men consume alcohol occasionally, increased smoking rate among young people, physical in...  Read Article

Ask an Infertility Specialist Now