Q. I am 40 years old, have diabetes and thyroid disease. Can I conceive?

Dr. Poonguzhali Liston
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 14, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 07, 2021

I am a 40-year-old female. I am married for eight years, but I cannot conceive till now. My AMH report is 0.3 ng/ml. EmbrometicThickness is 7 to 8 mm with a complex ovarian cyst of 41x21 mm with septation in the right ovary. I am diabetic and have thyroid disorders also. Can you please tell me if I can conceive?

#

Getting straight to the point, you have various comorbidities which are preventing you from conceiving like:

1) Age.

2) AMH (Anti-mullerian hormone) of 0.3 ng/ml - This hormone indicates the ability of your ovaries to produce an ovum or egg. For the age of 40, it should be around 1.3 ng/ml. But it is deficient in you. Also, for the ovary to respond to any ovarian stimulation in the form of drugs, the AMH should be higher. So the chances of successfully stimulating your ovaries are low.

3) Diabetics and hypothyroidism - These also reduce the chances of pregnancy considerably.

4) Complex ovarian cyst - This can be an endometrioma or infection, or any other condition to evaluate.

Your options are minimal, like IVF (In Vitro fertilization) with donor egg or your own frozen egg, surrogacy, or adoption. Even with IVF, your chances are low.

Do not lose hope. You need the help of a fertility expert. Do visit and get yourself evaluated. Keep your thyroid and sugar levels under control. Get the cyst evaluated.

Regards and all the best.

|