Q. My inguinal hernia is causing pain suddenly. How can I reduce the pain for a month?

Dr. Naveed Ahmed Khan
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 20, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 16, 2021

I am an 18-year-old boy. I have an inborn inguinal hernia. It has not given much pain before as it is giving now. When I lay down for more than two hours, it starts hurting and I am unable to sleep anymore. The pain gets extended from the lower abdomen and pelvic region to the upper portion of the femur. I am unable to do surgery now due to pandemics. How to reduce my pain for now? Do I need surgery immediately? Can I wait for a month?

#

Your pain related to hernia needs thorough examination. If there are no complications seen during physical examination and ultrasound, then you can do surgery after a month. If there are any complications, then you need immediate surgery. For now, you can do TRUS (transrectal ultrasonography). You need to do surgery as soon as possible. For now, avoid lifting heavy weights and take fiber-rich food in your diet. Avoid constipation as it causes exacerbation of hernia.

|