Q. My son got a cornea injury. Will his vision be alright?

Dr. Shikha
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 15, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 12, 2021

My son, who is 6 years old, got an injury in the right cornea by a sharp pencil. The cornea was repaired with six stitches. After 18 days, cataract surgery was done. The next day morning after removing the patch, he saw clearly in open eye. But, from today, he could not see through his right eye. Doctor prescribed Vigamox, Pred forte, Homide drops and Wysolone 20 tablets for seven days. We are feeling completely helpless and afraid. How is it possible? Will his vision be alright? Please give an expert opinion.

#

• Did he get any surgery for cornea, except sutures?
  • Immediately after cataract surgery, it may be possible to see clearly. But, usually it takes around six weeks to regain vision. Keep using the drops. Do not worry.

For further information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

Please tell whether he will be able to see again. Also, how many days it will take and up to what percentage? He did not get any other cornea operation except sutures.

#

• If there is any opacity in the cornea, then the person will not be able to see clearly.
  • I will give you an example to understand. You cannot take a clear photo from a camera if the shutter is off or dirty even if it is well working with all the batteries, charged and everything else in good condition.

|