Q. Can falling from a moving escalator cause inner ear disorder?

Dr. A.k.srivastava
Published on Jun 21, 2019

Three weeks ago while descending on a moving escalator I fell down but I was holding the bannister and it only caused me to sit on the steps from where I got up and walked away upon reaching down. Next day, while sitting on a high chair with a very small base and seat, I slipped off but managed not to fall by holding on to a nearby support. For the previous three years, I have preferred to hold on to the railing while climbing or going down a flight of stairs. I consulted a neurologist who suggested an inner ear disorder and seeing an ENT speciialist. She told me to perform a brain MRI and consider a nerve conduction study. Can you shortlist the possible inner ear disorders? Then, please tell me the tests in sequence which I should do to identify the specific inner ear disorder.

Dr. A.k.srivastava

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

I understand your concern, you are probably suffering from imbalance. It is a type of vertigo. Such problems arises when vestibule of inner ear is not working properly. Balancing of moving body is managed by vestibule of inner ear.

Sometimes inner ear gets diseased by viral infection, bacterial infection, metabolic dysfunction like hydrops.

Diagnostic tools are good clinical examination by ENT doctor. Investigations like electronystagmography (ENG). My suggestion is to please consult your ENT doctor, certainly he or she will do same as above I said and will reach to correct diagnosis to manage your problem.

| 

Hearing has deteriorated significantly with vertigo. Can it be due to acoustic neuroma?

Query: Hi doctor, I have no current medications. Over the past 2 or 3 years, my hearing in my left ear only has deteriorated significantly. I would say it is less than half as good as my right. I went to an ENT doctor, with an audiologist appointment. The audiologist said I had a moderate hearing loss in ...  Read Full »

Is tinnitus a side effect of AZO?

Query: Hello doctor, I began exhibiting symptoms that I would describe as tinnitus from a week. I get a loud noise or ringing in my left ear, although it also happens in the right ear. One fine day the tinnitus actually went to the other ear (my right ear), my tinnitus since then has not been focused in a...  Read Full »

What is MSA?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a balancing problem. I have low blood pressure in change of posture. I am on Midodrine. During a neurological examination, I was asked to tap my toes. Every time when I did that my heel involuntarily tapped several times. What is the reason? I am being examined for possible MSA...  Read Full »