Q. Can falling from a moving escalator cause inner ear disorder?

Answered by Dr. A.k.srivastava and medically reviewed by Dr. Divya Banu M
Do you have a question on Inner Ear Problem or Vertigo? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

Three weeks ago while descending on a moving escalator I fell down but I was holding the bannister and it only caused me to sit on the steps from where I got up and walked away upon reaching down. Next day, while sitting on a high chair with a very small base and seat, I slipped off but managed not to fall by holding on to a nearby support. For the previous three years, I have preferred to hold on to the railing while climbing or going down a flight of stairs. I consulted a neurologist who suggested an inner ear disorder and seeing an ENT speciialist. She told me to perform a brain MRI and consider a nerve conduction study. Can you shortlist the possible inner ear disorders? Then, please tell me the tests in sequence which I should do to identify the specific inner ear disorder.