Q. I started feeling itches after a bee stung me. What do I do?

This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 07, 2015 and last reviewed on: Jan 28, 2019

I got stung by a bee yesterday morning on my toe. When I woke up this morning, I started feeling itches here and there in my body. I also got two blisters on the top of my toe where the bee had stung.

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

With the conversation we had, I understand that you were bitten by a bee yesterday (insect bite) on your toe and today you have blisters, itching, and swelling. Based on the information you gave, I have suggested some measures as well as some medications.

Please wash the toe with lukewarm water and see carefully if any part of the sting (sharp organ of the bee) is left in the toe where it stung. If so you must contact your local doctor who can do the needful steps to remove the sting.

If not, then apply some antibacterial cream (like Mupirocin ointment or Betadine ointment) over the blisters. Apply the cream twice daily and wash off with lukewarm water before the next application. Wear comfortable footwear that does not rub over the affected part.

Next, to get relief from itching, take an antihistaminic tablet. Antihistaminics that you may take are Levocetirizine 5 mg once a day (if effects wean off, then take twice a day) or Cetirizine 10 mg once a day. If there is pain take a painkiller (Paracetamol 650 mg) if needed.

If there is severe swelling and that is increasing with days you need to consult with your doctor to see if it has caused an infection. Increasing pain, pus from the blisters, change of color of surrounding normal skin, fever are some other symptoms showing worsening of the condition or infection.

If you are a diabetic with poor sugar control, you run an increased risk of developing an infection. In such a case depending on the severity of infection, anti-bacterial agents have to be instituted.

Take rest and do not move the affected toe a lot. Eat plenty of nutritious food and take 4 liters of water per day (this should be the case normally). Especially so now because when you take medicines, the body needs abundant water to take care of metabolism.

|