Q. Please suggest some treatment for abscesses, which look like an insect bite.

Dr. Arvind Guru
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 11, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 10, 2020

I have two abscesses, which looks like an insect bite with a dark spot at the center. Both the abscesses are hot to touch with acute pain. One of them is filled with pus and has started to drain slowly. I have attached the photos. Please suggest some medicine.

#

It would not be an insect bite unless it appeared overnight. After reviewing the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it looks like an infection of the hair follicle. For such a skin infection, overweight and diabetes are the risk factors.

I would suggest you the following medications. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicines with their consent.

1. Tablet Pantoprazole 40 mg in the empty stomach daily morning.
  2. Tablet Augmentin Duo 625 (Amoxicillin 500 mg and Clavulanic acid 125 mg) twice a day for three days.
  3. Tablet Combiflam (Ibuprofen 400 mg + Paracetamol 325 mg) three times a day for two days and then as required.
  4. Tablet Allegra 120 mg (Fexofenadine) twice a day if there is any itchy sensation. It can cause drowsiness, so do not drive or operate fast moving machinery.

Follow the above medicines only if you do not have any other diseases, and not on any other medications. As some people are allergic to Amoxicillin, in such a case stop the use of the medicine and consult a doctor. Applying ice and washing the area with ordinary soap and water will help with the pain. For the pus discharging site, cover it with a disposable dressing like Primapore adhesive dressing. Also, get your fasting blood sugar level checked.

For further information consult a general surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-surgeon

| 

Why am I having dental abscess after three rounds of root canal treatment?

Query: Hello doctor, I had three sessions of a root canal, but I am still having a dental abscess. The treated tooth does not hurt and the root canal seems to be properly done but the abscess keeps coming back even after taking antibiotics. Why is this happening? Also, how can I know what type of abscess ...  Read Full »

What caused my face to swell?

Query: Hi doctor,I have some skin issue on my face. It looks as if some insect has bitten on it and a bit swollen. Is that due to some allergy?  Read Full »

Are hair fall, skin infections, and overweight due to hypothyroidism?

Query: Hello doctor, I have hypothyroidism. With that, I am facing hair fall, skin infections, overweight, high cholesterol, and memory loss. Are all these happening because of thyroid or there are other factors involved? I am a firm believer in Ayurveda but can this be treated with Ayurveda permanently? ...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask a General Surgeon Now