Q. Please suggest some treatment for abscesses, which look like an insect bite.

Dr. Arvind Guru
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 11, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 10, 2020

I have two abscesses, which looks like an insect bite with a dark spot at the center. Both the abscesses are hot to touch with acute pain. One of them is filled with pus and has started to drain slowly. I have attached the photos. Please suggest some medicine.

#

It would not be an insect bite unless it appeared overnight. After reviewing the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it looks like an infection of the hair follicle. For such a skin infection, overweight and diabetes are the risk factors.

I would suggest you the following medications. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicines with their consent.

1. Tablet Pantoprazole 40 mg in the empty stomach daily morning.
  2. Tablet Augmentin Duo 625 (Amoxicillin 500 mg and Clavulanic acid 125 mg) twice a day for three days.
  3. Tablet Combiflam (Ibuprofen 400 mg + Paracetamol 325 mg) three times a day for two days and then as required.
  4. Tablet Allegra 120 mg (Fexofenadine) twice a day if there is any itchy sensation. It can cause drowsiness, so do not drive or operate fast moving machinery.

Follow the above medicines only if you do not have any other diseases, and not on any other medications. As some people are allergic to Amoxicillin, in such a case stop the use of the medicine and consult a doctor. Applying ice and washing the area with ordinary soap and water will help with the pain. For the pus discharging site, cover it with a disposable dressing like Primapore adhesive dressing. Also, get your fasting blood sugar level checked.

For further information consult a general surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-surgeon

|