Q. My mother-in-law has severe itching and red spots on the skin. Please give your suggestions.

Dr. B. T. Priya
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

My mother-in-law, 67 years old, had severe itching and irritation last week. Suddenly itching started in the middle of the night, probably due to some insect bite she feels. Then the next day, the itching became severe, and these red spots developed. We consulted a general doctor who prescribed tablet Allegra and Cetzine and lotion for three days. Itching reduced but started again. Please give your suggestions.

Dr. B. T. Priya

Dermatology
#

Please send me some more pictures with long and closeup shots. To know which part of the body is affected, and where all other lesions are there.

• Does she have diabetes?
  • Is she taking any medication?

| 

Thank you, doctor, for your reply.

She has diabetes and under control. The last sugar test was taken two months back reads 96 and 152 fasting and after. She is taking GP-4, Istavel, Jardiance, Novastat, and Dilzem. For this itching, she had taken tablet Allegra, tablet Cetzine and a lotion. She has these spots in both butts, backside of both legs.

Dr. B. T. Priya

Dermatology
#

It is looking like an insect bite allergy, and she is allergic to her sweat,which was aggravated by scratching.

Please start with,

1. Tablet Defcort (Deflazacort) 6 mg twice a day for one week.
  2. Tablet Roxid (Roxithromycin) 150 twice a day for one week.
  3. To the areas, apply Hhfudic (Fusidic acid with Mometasone furoate) cream mixed with Calosoft AF (calamine, aloe vera, and liquid paraffin) lotion to the spots twice a day.
  4. Tab Levocet (Levocetrizine) twice a day if severe itching, then reduce to half tablet twice a day for three weeks.
  5. Apply Calosoft many times a day if scratchy.

Take care.

|