Q. What are these red, non-itchy bumps, which started after a mosquito bite?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 17, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 02, 2020

I have red bumps, which are non-itchy and keep on spreading. Also, I am attaching the picture for your reference. Please explain me.

#

I have read your query and examined your picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• I want to ask a few questions. For how long you are having these red non-itchy bumps? Are they localized to one arm? Are they painful?
  • Have you applied anything over these eruptions? Any past history of similar kind of eruptions? Are you on any supplements or medicine?
  • Is there any history of insect bite or mosquito bite? These are all the questions required for making your diagnosis.

With that much of the descriptions I can say it may be allergic contact dermatitis or insect bite hypersensitivity or urticarial vasculitis.

I suggest you to use Lacto Calamine lotion local application twice daily and one tablet Levocetirizine once daily for five days. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with their consent.

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

One week before it started with a mosquito bite. It has spread and is only on the left upper arm. They are not painful or itchy and I have applied a steroid cream that was prescribed to me for another reason. I have never seen this before and I am not on any supplements. My current medication includes Januvia Synthroid and Herceptin for every three weeks. I have never had this kind of reaction from mosquito bites before. Please help me.

#

You are on Herceptin for the adjuvant for early breast cancer and Januvia Synthroid for diabetes.

Your lesions clinically look like IBH (insect bite hypersensitivity) or may be rarer possibilities of herpes zoster.

In IBH previously you would not feel anything on the bite of the insect or mosquito, but later on due to sensitization these reactions occur.

I suggest you to stop the application of Steroid immediately and just continue Lacto Calamine lotion twice daily and Levocetirizine as advised for five days.

You need to observe if there is any group of vesiculation (fluid filled eruptions) involving.

The dermatome associated with pain localized to that dermatomes then it could be herpes zoster.

It looks rarer possibilities, but cannot be ruled out because you have diabetes and on immunosuppressive therapy. Review after five days with following picture.

Revert back after five days with the picture to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|