Q. Should I be concerned about internal bleeding after being injured in ice-blocking?

Dr. Muhammad Zubayer Alam
and medically reviewed by Dr. Chithranjali Ravichandran

Hi doctor.

I am a 23-year-old female. My height is 5’5”. I went ice-blocking a couple of days ago and accidentally went off a little jump. Now, I have a big bruise on my leg and some pain in my stomach when I push on it, and pain on my hips in front of my pelvis. There is no visible bruising elsewhere except my leg, but I worry about internal bleeding. Should I be concerned?

Please help.

#

Thank you for the query, and I can understand your concern.

According to your statement, you have been suffering from a big bruise on your leg and pain in your stomach and between your hips. Now you are afraid of any internal bleeding.

Several symptoms of internal bleeding in the legs are bruising, swelling, pain, numbness, and weakness. But, there may be no symptoms of internal bleeding initially. If an organ is damaged and it can be painful, and it bleeds. Over time, it can cause symptoms of shock like low blood pressure, weak pulses, cold and clammy skin, raised heart rate, raised breathing rate, dizziness, confusion, loss of consciousness, etc.

According to the picture provided here (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity) and assuming that you have no symptoms of internal bleeding, I think no internal bleeding has occurred in your case. I suggest you do an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) of your knee to exclude any internal bleeding or hemorrhage.

Do not worry.

Take care.

|