I took an ultrasound at 22 weeks of pregnancy and was informed about the gender of the baby. However, the scan took about two hours which was more than what I anticipated, and I was advised to take another ultrasound in about two weeks which seemed unusual to me. I am very anxious if something might be wrong with my previous ultrasound. I have attached the ultrasound; kindly take a look and guide me if there are any apparent anomalies on my scan.
Welcome to icliniq.com.
I read your query and can understand your concern.
I have seen the report you have attached (attachment removed to protect the patient's privacy). While camera images are not the ideal way for interpretation, I will try to give you a glimpse of the core findings.
1) There seems to be an increased amount of fluid in the head around the baby's brain, and perhaps a few parts of the brain are not formed or are compressed by the fluid.
2) It could represent either hydranencephaly (a nervous system disorder that shows neurological defects and an enlarged head) or holoprosencephaly (a condition where the brain fails to divide into right and left hemispheres).
3) The exact diagnosis will be only found during the following scan, but I am afraid both are critical brain development problems.
4) I advise you to relax and wait for your next report. Then, please discuss with the radiologist and gynecologist and follow their advice regarding further management.
Do not worry, and please stay assured.
Revert for further queries.
Hydranencephaly or holoprosencephaly.Investigations to be done:
Anomaly scan.Differential diagnosis:
Hydranencephaly or holoprosencephaly.Probable diagnosis:
Hydranencephaly or holoprosencephaly.
Thank you for the reply.
We are hoping for the best. In the image, I notice that there seems to be a mass in front of the baby. Could you please tell me what it could be? Also, is it possible to gather the baby's measurements through the ultrasound?
Welcome back to icliniq.com.
1) Please be assured that there is no mass or tumor in front of the baby. The structures you have mistaken for a mass in the ultrasound are the placenta and the baby's limbs.
2) From some angles, the placenta may appear to be low lying, but 22 weeks is too early to conclude this. Also, since you have not mentioned any incidence of bleeding, your gynecologist may advise repeated ultrasound to monitor the position of the placenta.
3) Regarding the measurements, it is not possible to measure the baby from the ultrasound images.
I hope this helps.
Revert in case of further queries.
Was this answer helpful?|
Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!
.. put forth few facts about pregnancy and baby growth. The growth of the baby is progressive, but if it stops at some stage, that amount of growth cannot be regained. Some reason has been missed by the doctor during the pregnancy monitoring. The... Read fullWhat could cause an unsteady gait in a toddler?
.. the video (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it appears that she walks with an ataxic gait. There may also be some component of spasticity (stiffness in her lower limbs). It looks a little abnormal because she is tripping and fallin... Read fullIs it advisable to have long flight travel during pregnancy?
.. that you are not a high-risk pregnancy as per your obstetrician before traveling. Air travel is allowed during pregnancy (except high-risk cases like threatened pregnancy, high BP, diabetic, twins), just keep the following things in mind especiall... Read full
Also Read Answers From:
Ask your health query to a doctor online?Ask a Radiologist Now