iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersRadiologyintrauterine growth restrictionWhat could go wrong in an ultrasound taken at 22 weeks of pregnancy?

My 22nd-week pregnancy ultrasound seems to have some abnormalities. Could you interpret it?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At April 17, 2022
Reviewed AtJanuary 25, 2023

Patient's Query

I took an ultrasound at 22 weeks of pregnancy and was informed about the gender of the baby. However, the scan took about two hours which was more than what I anticipated, and I was advised to take another ultrasound in about two weeks which seemed unusual to me. I am very anxious if something might be wrong with my previous ultrasound. I have attached the ultrasound; kindly take a look and guide me if there are any apparent anomalies on my scan.

I read your query and can understand your concern.

I have seen the report you have attached (attachment removed to protect the patient's privacy). While camera images are not the ideal way for interpretation, I will try to give you a glimpse of the core findings.

1) There seems to be an increased amount of fluid in the head around the baby's brain, and perhaps a few parts of the brain are not formed or are compressed by the fluid.

2) It could represent either hydranencephaly (a nervous system disorder that shows neurological defects and an enlarged head) or holoprosencephaly (a condition where the brain fails to divide into right and left hemispheres).

3) The exact diagnosis will be only found during the following scan, but I am afraid both are critical brain development problems.

4) I advise you to relax and wait for your next report. Then, please discuss with the radiologist and gynecologist and follow their advice regarding further management.

Do not worry, and please stay assured.

Revert for further queries.

The Probable causes

Hydranencephaly or holoprosencephaly.

Investigations to be done

Anomaly scan.

Differential diagnosis

Hydranencephaly or holoprosencephaly.

Probable diagnosis

Hydranencephaly or holoprosencephaly.

Patient's Query

Thank you for the reply.

We are hoping for the best. In the image, I notice that there seems to be a mass in front of the baby. Could you please tell me what it could be? Also, is it possible to gather the baby's measurements through the ultrasound?

1) Please be assured that there is no mass or tumor in front of the baby. The structures you have mistaken for a mass in the ultrasound are the placenta and the baby's limbs.

2) From some angles, the placenta may appear to be low lying, but 22 weeks is too early to conclude this. Also, since you have not mentioned any incidence of bleeding, your gynecologist may advise repeated ultrasound to monitor the position of the placenta.

3) Regarding the measurements, it is not possible to measure the baby from the ultrasound images.

Revert in case of further queries.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Muhammad Shoyab
Dr. Muhammad Shoyab

Radiodiagnosis

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Radiology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy