Q. I had iron deficiency anemia three years ago. Why was my liver enzyme level elevated?

Dr. Mubashir Razzaq Khan

I am 24 years old female. Three years ago, I had iron deficiency anemia with vitamin deficiencies. The iron level was 46, ferritin was 5.80, vitamin D was 5.60, vitamin B12 was 289, and folic acid was 4.22. During that time, my liver enzymes were also slightly elevated, according to what my doctor said. He sent me to take an ultrasound to check if my spleen and liver were enlarged? They were not enlarged, and he said everything was alright. I used my medications. And I routinely made CBC, and my liver enzymes were never elevated anymore. But I always wonder why my liver enzymes elevated in the first place. Is there any reason for it? Kindly give your opinion.

#

Hi.

As you said, you got anemia three years ago. And you got your blood levels borderline on the lower side. These levels are old reports. What is the current situation? For conclusive advice, get a fresh CBC (complete blood count), ferritin, folic acid, and vitamin B12 levels done. As far as liver enzymes are concerned, these are elevated with antibiotics, antipyretics, analgesics, alcohol. Viral hepatitis, fatty liver, and autoimmunity also cause liver damage. Since your enzymes got better, no need to worry about it, I hope this was helpful.

|