Q. I am getting periods only with medication. Why?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya
This is a premium question & answer published on May 29, 2016 and last reviewed on: Mar 21, 2020

I am a 23 year old girl. I am suffering from irregular periods for the last two years. With medication period occurs, but the problem persists when the medicine is discontinued. I had my last periods two months back. Tests done for TSH and pelvic ultrasound done. Please guide.

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• This is an association of irregular cycle with cystic ovaries as seen by ultrasonography of the abdomen (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • This is, I suppose, a polycystic ovarian syndrome, for which you are suffering from irregular and absent menstruation.
  • You need few more investigations to rule out it as a syndrome of cystic ovaries.
  • Now, the basic management varies from patient to patient and it is different from those who are unmarried.
  • However, weight reduction is the basic and first step of all management protocols.
  • So, please let me know your marital status, whether you want to conceive now along with serum levels of LH (luteinizing hormone) and testosterone on day 2 of the cycle.
  • Your TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) level is within normal limits, which could rule out any possibility of thyroid disorder.

Revert back with the detailed history to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

I am married, but right now I do not have any plan for the baby.

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• Next, you need some medicines like contraceptive pills for at least six cycles. There are lots of them like Diane 20 or 30, Yasmin which contains Drospirenone. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
  • Lastly, you need to reduce your body weight as it is the prime of all management strategies. Join a gym and make your diet in such a mode, which contains the least amount of calories.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

I have thick and foul-smelling vaginal discharge. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 23 years old, and my husband is 30 years old, and I have PCOS from the past 11 years. We are married for a year and a half. My periods are irregular, and sometimes I do not get periods for 8 to 9 months. I used to get periods after taking Meprate. With Clomifene, I got two cycles...  Read Full »

Will increased TSH level harm the baby's brain growth?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 26 years old. My height is 5'1" and weight is 52.4. I am 20 weeks pregnant now. I underwent a surgery for complete thyroidectomy and I am taking Thyroxin 100 mcg regularly. In my first trimester, the TSH level was 0.31 and the doctor advised me to continue the same dosage of medici...  Read Full »

Can taking contraceptive pills before sex be effective in preventing pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, How can pregnancy be avoided completely without the help of condoms?  Read Full »