Q. I am getting periods only with medication. Why?

Answered by
Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on May 29, 2016 and last reviewed on: Mar 21, 2020

Hi doctor,

I am a 23 year old girl. I am suffering from irregular periods for the last two years. With medication period occurs, but the problem persists when the medicine is discontinued. I had my last periods two months back. Tests done for TSH and pelvic ultrasound done. Please guide.



Welcome to

  • This is an association of irregular cycle with cystic ovaries as seen by ultrasonography of the abdomen (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • This is, I suppose, a polycystic ovarian syndrome, for which you are suffering from irregular and absent menstruation.
  • You need few more investigations to rule out it as a syndrome of cystic ovaries.
  • Now, the basic management varies from patient to patient and it is different from those who are unmarried.
  • However, weight reduction is the basic and first step of all management protocols.
  • So, please let me know your marital status, whether you want to conceive now along with serum levels of LH (luteinizing hormone) and testosterone on day 2 of the cycle.
  • Your TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) level is within normal limits, which could rule out any possibility of thyroid disorder.

Revert back with the detailed history to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online -->

Thank you doctor,

I am married, but right now I do not have any plan for the baby.



Welcome back to

  • Next, you need some medicines like contraceptive pills for at least six cycles. There are lots of them like Diane 20 or 30, Yasmin which contains Drospirenone. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
  • Lastly, you need to reduce your body weight as it is the prime of all management strategies. Join a gym and make your diet in such a mode, which contains the least amount of calories.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Does a contraceptive pill affect periods?

Hi doctor, Are contraceptive pills safe to take ...  Does taking contraceptive pills completely reduce the chances of pregnancy or is there still some chance ...   Read full

What is the use of Persinal and Lupride injection?

.. having PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) which signifies that you have some problem in ovulation and subsequent fertilization of egg. As your tubes are open, you need some assistance for ovulation and to develop a good quality embryo. I suppose tha...   Read full

Do low TSH level and Low FT4 mean hyperthyroid?

Hello doctor, I am currently having acne on my cheeks and I am applying Benzoyl peroxide gel on my acne. It only reduces the inflammation but bumps are not reducing. I also have pigmentation caused by acne before. What may be the reason? I usually ge...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Monkeypox Virus - Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, Complications, and Prevention
Monkeypox is a zoonotic viral disease. This virus got its name as it was first noticed in laboratory monkeys in the late...  Read more»
Tomato Fever - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Tomato fever is an unidentified and fast-spreading type of viral infection seen in young children. Scroll down to know m...  Read more»
Histrionic Personality Disorder - Causes, Signs, Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment
Histrionic personality disorder causes variations in the thinking ability of a person. Read this article to know more.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.