Q. Why are my menstrual cycles not consistent every month?

Dr. Dr Prajna Shetty
and medically reviewed by Dr. Lochana
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 02, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 09, 2021

I am 28-year-old. My periods last month started on the twenty-forth and ended on the twenty-seventh. The month before that, I had periods twice. But this month, it is already twenty-eighth, and I did not get my periods. My cycles are not 21 days or 28 days. I am not sure, as I never took the stress of counting my cycle days. This is the first time I have experienced this. Can you please help or tell me whether it is normal? I am not having any pain or anything.

#

If you are married or sexually active, please do a urine pregnancy test any time if there is a change in the frequency of your cycle. If not no need to worry. There are hundreds of causes that disturb cycle frequency, but we will rule out which harms your health. Causes are as follows:

1) Recent weight gain. If so, lose weight

2) Check thyroid (thyroid-stimulating hormone) and prolactin levels to see if any hormonal disturbance

3) Check hemoglobin level.

4) If the above tests are normal, do a pelvic scan to look at your ovaries and uterus.

Please do these tests and review with results.

|