Q. Why are my menstrual cycles not consistent every month?

Dr. Prajna Shetty
and medically reviewed by Dr. Lochana

Hello ,, I m 28years old .. My periods last month started on the 24th and ended on 27th. The month before that, I had periods twice. But this month, it's already 28th, and I did not get my periods... my cycles are not 21 days or 28 days m not sure as I never took stress of counting my cycle days .. this is first time I have experienced this can u please help or tell me whether is it normal ?? M not having any pains or nothing ??

#

Hi ,

Coming to your query 1. If u r married or sexually active - please do urine pregnancy test any time if there is change in frequency of ur cycle 2. If not - no need to worry- there are hundreds of causes which disturbs cycle frequency but we will rule out which harms ur health Causes- 1. Recent weight gain - loose weight 2. Check thyroid ( tsh) and prolactin levels - to see if any hormonal disturbanse 3. Hemoglobin 4. If above tests are normal a pelvic scan to look at ur ovaries and uterus. Please do these tests and review with results

| 

Had ECP after unprotected sex and bleeding for the past eight days. What could be the problem?

Query: Hi doctor, I had unprotected sex with my partner on 24 and 25 last month and she had an ECP on 25th. In few hours, she had drop type bleeding which continued for two days and then she started bleeding. It has been eight days and she is having her periods without cramps or abdominal pain. Her last p...  Read Full »

I have gained a lot of weight. Can this be due to my birth control pill?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 22-year-old female. I have been prescribed by my gynecologist and have taken Larissia and Lutera birth control for four years now because back then, I had incredibly heavy and frequent periods (like a period every two weeks). Since four years, I have gained a lot of weight. Gra...  Read Full »

Is it normal to have irregular periods with pain in a 52-year-old female?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother is facing pain at periodical time since 6 months and period facing two times in a month and it remains for 4 to 6 days. Although she never faced this situation before. My mother's age is 52 years now. What should she do now. Already visited two gynecologist and they advised ...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»