Q. Is it possible to develop irritable bowel syndrome after eating outside?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar

I am a 25-year-old male. I do not smoke or drink, and my body mass index is normal. I had dinner at a restaurant with a friend about a year ago. A few days later, both of us developed right low quarter abdominal pain, and he even had his appendix removed. My right side pain was at least 7 out of 10. It has been more than a year since, but I still have symptoms. My illness has a periodicity. Sometimes it is better, and sometimes it is worse. I am bloated and have abdominal pain (mostly right-sided), which is localized around the appendix. I visited internalists and gastroenterologists, but there has been no progress. I had Crohn's disease excluded with an MRI enterography. I have taken an abdominal ultrasound and got blood tests which are perfectly fine. I do not have diarrhea or nausea. Doctors concluded that I have IBS, but as far as I know, IBS does not come suddenly and is often not on the right side as it is for me. What should I do now? I tried plenty of medications for IBS, but neither of them worked. Doctors seem to ignore my concern since all my diagnosis reports are negative. Is it possible I have some kind of chronic appendicitis? Thanks in advance.

#

Well, it seems to be post-infectious IBS (Irritable bowel syndrome). The IBS started after a brief episode of acute gastroenteritis, which you and your friend developed one year ago. Chronic appendicitis is actually never been documented. Whenever there is inflammation of the appendix, it occurs as acute, which lasts no more than four weeks, and the majority undergo surgery by then. Yes, there is a condition which is called an appendicular lump and phlegmon, which are the close differentials of this right lower abdominal pain, but these are something that the MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) would have picked.

The IBS can be well managed, and there are various drugs that have now been available on the market. I want you to tell me which drugs you have used as of now, including their doses and duration of use? I also want to know whether you have lost any weight? And please upload the MRI report for me to read once more. I hope things can get better with treatment. Best regards.

|