Q. Can AHA Revitalizing Lotion be used along with Isotretinoin to cure body acne?

Dr. Sunil Kothiwala
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 22, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 07, 2019

I am 25 years old and I weigh 75 kg. To cure my persistent moderate body acne and KP of past 10 years which was not responding well with topical treatment, the dermatologist put me on Isotretinoin course starting with a dose of 5 mg. Along with this, he has also prescribed AHA Revitalizing Lotion 20% (Glycolic Acid) to help with the acne scars and the KP bumps, Salyzap body spray and Spongy-Sal for washing. Is it okay to use this AHA Lotion while on Isotretinoin? I ask this because it said in the pamphlet that no cosmetic procedures can be had on the skin while on this medication. Please help.

#

Regarding the dose of Isotretinoin, it can go up to 20 mg easily. There is no serious side effect except for dry and cracked lips.

With regards to Glycolic Acid 20% lotion, I will suggest you use it for short period first then increase it slowly.

Concomitant use of Isotretinoin and Glycolic Acid 20% will be ideal although there is a relative contraindication for use of both simultaneously.

But we perform Peels with even Glycolic acid 35% to 50% with Isotretinoin and we do not have any side effects.

Because we give Isotretinoin in lower doses and you are taking just 5 mg which is very low. So, I do not see any problem. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the medicine.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

Acne vulgaris, a Social Problem.

Article Overview: This article discusses the social problems encountered by teens as well as adults due to acne. Read Article

Dr. Kakkar

Acne is the most common skin problem encountered in the teenagers and also in adults. Acne is not a disease by itself, but being chronic in nature, it can have a significant impact in shaping the overall personality of a person. People with acne are often found to have low self-esteem which restrict...  Read Article

Is Isotretinoin prescribed for acne?

Query: Hi doctor, I have deep acne on the face for more than 10 years and for which my doctor has prescribed Isotretinoin drug Isokon 20 mg. The medicine seems to show a lot of improvement for acne. However, I feel that it has some side effects as I feel tired with burning eyes. Is this normal? Is Isotre...  Read Full »

Acne - Causes, Types, Home Remedies and Treatment Strategy

Article Overview: Acne is a very common condition encountered among teens and adults. To decide the protocol for the treatment of acne, it is important for us to know the causes, conditions associated, sites of acne, the cause of acne and factors affecting the onset of acne. Many home remedies are helpful in treating acne. Mild and moderate acne can be treated with medication and severe acne with other treatment procedures. Prevention is more important than cure. Read Article

Dr. Archana

Acne is a very common skin condition. It commonly starts during puberty but can occur at any age. Although it is not a dangerous condition, acne can leave scars on the skin. Acne appears in different parts of the body like face, chest, and back. Acne affects almost all teenagers in different severit...  Read Article

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»