Q. Why am I having itchy and dry eyes with eye pain?

Dr. Rahul Vaswani
This is a premium question & answer published on May 18, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 01, 2020

I am having itchy and dry eyes for the past one week and recently experiencing some eye pain also for the past two days. My eyes are getting tired fast, and I cannot look at a laptop screen for long periods, there is a constant irritation near both the eye corners. But the itching occurs sometimes, it is not constant. I am taking refresh tears eye drops for 2 times for the past two days and warm compresses, and it is feeling better after that.

In the past one month, I had severe tonsillitis for which I took some medications. It had some side effects, that led to a thyroid disorder, which is getting better now. I wanted to know if this condition is serious, and whether I should continue taking the drops. Also, my father has glaucoma, so is my vision in any kind of danger. There is no redness as if now. I am a 20-year-old female. Thank you.

Dr. Rahul Vaswani

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

What you are suffering from is computer vision syndrome. Modify your computer working habits work in a well lit room always even if using laptop try to work on a table nd chair and chair should be good, ergonomic supporting your spine, main light should come from behind your back. Remove your eyes from screen every 20 minutes and look at distant object for 20 seconds. Work on a HD screen or retina display screen. Take 5 minutes break every 45 minutes. Make a rule whenever you press a common key like enter or space or even when touch track pad you will blink your eye because that is essential to blink eyes 15 times a minute.

Disconitnue Betonosol eye drop please. Use refresh tears eye drop 6 times a day regularly. If any discharge or redness develops please let me know these are not signs of glaucouma. See in glaucoma there is no pain so early. Then too after situation of lockdown improves then please get IOP checked to rule out glaucoma

|