Q. Please help me with my itchy scalp.

Dr. Joydeep Singha
Published on Nov 10, 2016

I have itchy scalp and have started losing hair. Can I get help on this?

Dr. Joydeep Singha

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

You have probably seborrheic capitis (an eczema).

I suggest Ketoconazole shampoo on alternate day. Keep in contact with scalp for 7 to 10 minutes in each application and continue it for three to six months. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the treatment with consent.

For further information consult a dermatologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I have another doubt. Will shaving my head help in some way?

Dr. Joydeep Singha

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

• No, shaving does not help you to prevent hair fall. But, it may help you in other way.
  • That means, it will be easier to apply shampoo directly over the skin of the head and after all it is the disease of the skin.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

What is the white powder like stuff in my hair?

Query: Hi doctor, On my head some four to five spots of white powder like substance is forming. Initially I had it only on two spots but now it became five spots. If it is dandruff entire head part will occur but mine is different. I have lost some hairs on surrounding affected spots. Please tell me wha...  Read Full >>

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please send the good quality photographs of the lesion and also please tell me if there is any burning or itching? Let me know if any other areas are affected like elbow and knee? Looking forward for your response in order to help you. Revert back with the ph...  Read Full

Having some discoloration on the back of the scalp. Could it be folliculitis?

Query: Hi doctor, I shave my head with a razor blade once in a few days as if shaving my face. I have been doing this for seven years now. Four years ago, my doctor noticed that I had a discoloration on the back of my scalp. He said it was nothing to worry about and had probably always been there like a b...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your query and concern. I have examined your pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It seems that you are having non-involuting congenital hemangioma (NICH). NICH present at birth and usually flatter, presented as well defined round to ...  Read Full

Does hair fall stop immediately with the use of Proscar?

Query: Hi doctor,I have been on Rogaine for 6 years and now on Proscar for 10 days. I had used it before, but went off. I cannot tell if I am still losing hair or not. Does hair loss stop immediately once Proscar is used?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Both, Minoxidil and Finasteride takes time to act and in some cases it will take two to three months. Both are FDA - Food and Drug Administration approved for androgenic alopecia. You should always remember that if it is used once, then you need to take it for a lifetime...  Read Full