Q. What can cause waxy buildup on the roots of hair?

Published on Aug 13, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 18, 2019

I am an 18 year old female. For the past two years, I have had this waxy buildup only on the roots of my hair. It feels sticky, oily and stiff. None of the shampoo I have tried has fixed it. The problem goes away a couple of days after I dye my roots. I am wondering if there may be a problem with my scalp. Please help.

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

I have seen your query and concern.

• It seems you are having seborrheic capitis.
  • Seborrheic capitis is a papulosquamous disorder involves sebum-rich areas of the body, which is scalp.
  • Intermittent active phases manifesting with burning, scaling and itching and alternating with inactive periods. The activity is increased in winter and early spring with remissions commonly occur in summer.
  • Sometimes, fungal etiology is there. Otherwise, it is idiopathic.

Oily skin and excess sebum secretion.

1. Seborrheic capitis.
2. Tinea capitis.

Seborrheic capitis.

I would suggest you Sebowash (Fluocinolone) shampoo twice weekly. It has to be applied on scalp and left for 15 minutes before you wash. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the treatment with consent.

You should not apply hair oil. You can use conditioner and shampooing regularly rest of the day.

Revert back after a month to a dermatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Are the medicines given to me for scabies correct?

Query: Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with scabies, and now I am worried my family also has it. The doctor has prescribed Permethrin cream 5%, Ketoconazole cream, Flutas 150 mg, and Levocetirizine. Are these tablets fine or should I add anything more? What should I do with the furniture and mobile phones? I h...  Read Full »

From the photo, please confirm if my son has ringworm infection.

Query: Hi doctor,mI believe that my 6 year old son has ringworm infection. It started out small and then within a few days has gotten larger. I have attached the photo for your reference.  Read Full »

I have colorless and odorless discharge. Is it due to hormonal imbalance?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30 year old female. I am suffering from white discharge since the last four months. It is colorless, odorless with no itchiness and the quantity of the discharge is more than normal. Two years back, I had a similar problem for which I was advised to take Fluconazole 150 mg thre...  Read Full »