Q. What can cause waxy buildup on the roots of hair?

Answered by
Dr. Suvash Sahu
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 13, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 18, 2019

Hello doctor,

I am an 18 year old female. For the past two years, I have had this waxy buildup only on the roots of my hair. It feels sticky, oily and stiff. None of the shampoo I have tried has fixed it. The problem goes away a couple of days after I dye my roots. I am wondering if there may be a problem with my scalp. Please help.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have seen your query and concern.

  • It seems you are having seborrheic capitis.
  • Seborrheic capitis is a papulosquamous disorder involves sebum-rich areas of the body, which is scalp.
  • Intermittent active phases manifesting with burning, scaling and itching and alternating with inactive periods. The activity is increased in winter and early spring with remissions commonly occur in summer.
  • Sometimes, fungal etiology is there. Otherwise, it is idiopathic.

The Probable causes:

Oily skin and excess sebum secretion.

Differential diagnosis:

1. Seborrheic capitis.
2. Tinea capitis.

Probable diagnosis:

Seborrheic capitis.

Treatment plan:

I would suggest you Sebowash (Fluocinolone) shampoo twice weekly. It has to be applied on scalp and left for 15 minutes before you wash. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the treatment with consent.

Preventive measures:

You should not apply hair oil. You can use conditioner and shampooing regularly rest of the day.

Regarding follow up:

Revert back after a month to a dermatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Does drug absorption get reduced after a gallbladder removal surgery?

.. clarify that the removal of the gallbladder is not associated with the absorption of the drug. Even in the case of a patient whose gallbladder is not removed, Griseofulvin is advised to be taken with fatty meals. For more information consult a med...   Read full

What is the most effective treatment for clogged skin pores?

If you have excess sebum then you can develop acne or seborrheic dermatitis, which can cause itching ...   Read full

Can you suggest an alternative to Accutane for acne?

.. visit your physician as soon as possible. All these can be symptoms of obstructive jaundice. To confirm get your blood tested for complete blood count and liver function test. Also, get a urine routine microscopic test and ultrasound abdomen. Stop...   Read full


This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Why Do Some COVID-19 Patients Test Negative?
COVID-19 has resulted in a pandemic and has caused serious health crises worldwide. When we develop the symptoms of COV...  Read more»
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD): Reliving the Trauma
PTSD is a mental health condition where the person who undergoes an extremely stressful condition, develops disturbing t...  Read more»
Remdesivir - Uses, Dosage, Side Effects, Drug Warnings, and Precautions
Remdesivir is a broad-spectrum antiviral medication. It is the only medicine approved for COVID-19 treatment. To know ab...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dermatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.