Q. How to get treated for tinnitus?

Dr. Baidya Nath Majhi
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 19, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 22, 2019

I am a 31 year old female. I am having tinnitus in my right ear. My PTA hearing test says R - 17 dB and L - 10 dB. My doctor informed me that there is slight nerve damage and it is causing tinnitus and slight hearing loss. He said that there is no cure for it. Please help.

#

Your PTA (pure tone audiometry) showing minimal hearing loss in right ear and normal hearing in the left.

I do not think this minimal hearing loss cause the tinnitus unless the hearing loss is progressive.

Tinnitus is not a disease. It is a symptom due to many underlying disease, so we need to exclude the cause for the tinnitus first.

Next time please mention whether you are diabetic or hypertensive of having hearing impairment or heaviness in ear. Also mention whether the tinnitus is continuous or periodic or pulsating in nature.

For the next seven days do valsalva maneuver 20 to 30 times a day, the procedure of which you can get in YouTube.

Then take some medication as written below for seven days. Please get a tympanogram if possible.

Tympanogram.

ETD (Eustachian tube dysfunction).

1. Valsalva maneuver as advised.
2. Tablet Solvin (combination of Pseudoephedrine and Bromhexine) one tablet thrice daily.
3. Capsule Zincosule-4G (Multivitamin) one capsule twice a day.

|