Q. How to get treated for tinnitus?

Dr. Baidya Nath Majhi
Published on Feb 19, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 22, 2019

I am a 31 year old female. I am having tinnitus in my right ear. My PTA hearing test says R - 17 dB and L - 10 dB. My doctor informed me that there is slight nerve damage and it is causing tinnitus and slight hearing loss. He said that there is no cure for it. Please help.

Dr. Baidya Nath Majhi

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Your PTA (pure tone audiometry) showing minimal hearing loss in right ear and normal hearing in the left.

I do not think this minimal hearing loss cause the tinnitus unless the hearing loss is progressive.

Tinnitus is not a disease. It is a symptom due to many underlying disease, so we need to exclude the cause for the tinnitus first.

Next time please mention whether you are diabetic or hypertensive of having hearing impairment or heaviness in ear. Also mention whether the tinnitus is continuous or periodic or pulsating in nature.

For the next seven days do valsalva maneuver 20 to 30 times a day, the procedure of which you can get in YouTube.

Then take some medication as written below for seven days. Please get a tympanogram if possible.

Tympanogram.

ETD (Eustachian tube dysfunction).

1. Valsalva maneuver as advised.
2. Tablet Solvin (combination of Pseudoephedrine and Bromhexine) one tablet thrice daily.
3. Capsule Zincosule-4G (Multivitamin) one capsule twice a day.

My tinnitus has worsened. What is my chance of recovery?

Query: Hello doctor, I am looking for a second opinion. I got tinnitus from loud noise three weeks ago. Most of the time the noise is constant 3 or 4 on a scale of 1 to 10. Yesterday morning I experienced my best day as the noise seemed to reduce to a 2. However, it went back up to a 3 and 4 again yesterd...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The cause of tinnitus is usually idiopathic. Every normal person can hear that sound many times in their lives. It goes away as suddenly as it had started. There is no reason for worrying as you have no hearing loss. So relax, do not worry as these kinds of tinnitus...  Read Full

Tinnitus worsening mom's anxiety. What might help her?

Query: Hello doctor,My mother is in a care home and is experiencing very loud tinnitus. She is becoming very stressed and anxious as this has been going on for months. We have asked her GP to help but it does not seem that anything can be done. She has had her ears cleared but this has not helped either. S...  Read Full >>

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal
Audiologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Does she have any ear discharge too? What medicines has she been taking for hypertension? Revert with more information to an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist  Read Full

How to get rid of autophony?

Query: Hello Doctor, For the last 3-4 years I have been getting occasional autophony. This usually occurs during physical exercises like running etc., or when in college or when I am with my friends. It is very irritating to listen to my own voice echoing in the ear and also I do hear my own heart beat a...  Read Full >>

Dr. Prasun Mishra

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your entire history and understood your problem. Autophony is the unusual hearing of one's own voice and even breathing sounds. You have two issues:- Patulous Eustachian Tube and, OME (Otitis Media with Effusion) which is on and off fluid collection in th...  Read Full