Q. Is there any way to permanently cure clicking of TMJ?

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray

I have problems with my TMJ. When I wake up in the morning, I feel an annoying clicking in my TMJ. I do some exercise by opening and closing my jaw (while giving support to my chin with the thumb). It reduces that clicking to some extent but I want some permanent treatment. I do not feel any pain whatsoever. Please advice as to what should I do.

#

I had gone through your question. I can understand your concern about your TMJ. There may be some cause associated with it, that means for a permanent solution you have to single out the cause and eliminate it. Some major causes are as follows:

1. Missing teeth, grossly decayed teeth on the same side or opposite side, because of that you must be chewing from one side only. If this is the case, get the treatment done.

2. Malocclusion if you have any like crowding, teeth not properly closing, you need orthodontic treatment for it.

3. Bruxism, grinding of teeth during sleep.

You need to single out the cause and get it treated. During the meantime, do the TMJ exercise, get the hot packs placed on the side of the face twice daily to reduce any muscle strain.

Malocclusion, bruxism, missing or grossly decayed teeth.

OPG.

Avoid hard foods.

|