Q. My wife had bilateral condylar fracture and suffers from jaw pain. How to get rid of the pain?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
Published on Nov 07, 2019

My wife is suffering from jaw pain since last three years. She had an accident before two years. She suffered bilateral condyle fractures. Closed fixation and conservative approach was done but after four weeks, case went bad with open bite issue. So again she went for closed fixation for four weeks. After that occulusion was perfect and she can chew and there was no pain for six months. But after six months she is suffering from pain specially on the left condyle. Everyday she is suffering in pain. Only solution is gyming. If she goes for gyming (cardio exercise) for one hour then pain goes away otherwise she is suffering from pain. Can you help her? I can send you the detailed report if you want.

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentistry Endodontist Paediatric Dentistry Periodontist
#

Send me your most recent OPG (orthopantomogram) x ray digital image for examination before I could give an opinion.

I have attached all the reports.

Dr. Naveen Thomas

#

Has the pain been constant since that day when the pain started happening or has it increased in intensity?

Does she have any ear pain or pain below the left jaw?

Was the attached OPG x ray taken recently?

Did you go forward with the extraction of the lower third molar i.e. wisdom tooth as suggested by your dentist? Have you removed it?

Pain is constant, sometimes in muscle area of jaw mostly right side and sometimes bone pain near the ear.

She is in constant pain near the left jaw and also some time in the left ear but more pain is in the right side ear area.

OPG was taken in March this year.

No, we have not removed the molar teeth.

I understand as both the condyles are completely broken it is not going to be the same but is she going to suffer the pain through out her life? Is there any way pain can be relieved apart from taking a pain killer? Even pain killer like Myospaz is not working sometimes. Please help.

Dr. Naveen Thomas

#

Both the condyles seem to be fine, but there is a rare chance of compression of nerves which can sometimes cause such pain but it is very difficult to treat such cases.

In my opinion, you should get rid of all the four wisdom teeth on all four sides, starting with the two lower wisdom teeth on both sides.

This will help to reduce the pressure on the joint by preventing excessive force onto the condyles.

As she has healthy molar teeth on each side, the chewing motion is not affected at all. In my view, she will get some relief from the pain.

Please consider it as an option, removing all four wisdom teeth may be helpful in your case. Please do let me know the result if you go ahead with the above plan.

Why do I have jaw pain after root canal treatment?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a root canal done in one of my lower right teeth. It was done in one sitting with the help of a laser. Everything was fine for a week. Then, one day my right jaw started aching and I was not able to open the jaw more than half an inch. There wa mild pain below the ear and it inc...  Read Full >>

Dr. Honey Arora
Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, it can be due to muscle spasm but as it started after one week then it can also be due to infection in the root canal treated tooth. So, first of all, the exact cause needs to be ruled out. If Flexon MR (Ibuprofen, Paracetamol, and Chlorzoxazone) and muscle exe...  Read Full

I have an upper jaw pain and cannot close my mouth. What could be the reason?

Query: Hello doctor,From my left front tooth, all the way to the back of my teeth on top hurt. I cannot close my mouth and it feels like the pain is going up into the bone under my nose. What could that possibly be?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your description, it seems to me that you have an apical periodontitis. If you have any cavity related to this area, the tenderness is because of it. Or you must have malocclusion, meaning there is more pressure on these teeth. You need to visit a dentist who will...  Read Full

I have pain in my heels which did not get better with any painkiller. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 24 year old male. I have a pain in my heels from three to four months. I used a lot of painkillers like Ibuprofen, Voltral, Nims, Dicloran inj, Brexien, Movax, Muscoril, Rotec, Bonate, Carlex D, and Vitamin D inj. and Methicobal inj. etc, but the result is zero. I also try to w...  Read Full >>

Dr. Lokesh

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is a condition in which the fascia or the tissue at the heel is inflamed, and pain is there especially in the morning after getting up from sleep. I suggest the following medications: Tablet Piroxicam (20 mg) one tablet after food for ten days. Tablet Rabep...  Read Full