Q. What is the cause of the stinging sensation behind the jaw while chewing?

Dr. Atul Prakash

Usually, I do not have any problems with my jaw; but sometimes, after a long day without talking; I can get a stinging sensation behind the jaw while chewing. It stops immediately if i stop eating, and then it sometimes does not come back for weeks. How can this be? Sometimes, if I use strong mouthwash, I get this stinging sensation in the same area for just a few seconds. I sometimes have eustachian tube disorder; if this has anything to do with that? See the image where the stinging location is.

#

The description that you provide suggests that this is indeed coming from your temporomandibular joint, especially if you related this to chewing and, as you point out in the picture (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity).

Please answer the following questions to know more:

1. Is there any clicking to go with the pain?

2. Do you feel there is a sudden obstruction to clenching the jaw, and it gives with a clunk?

The location is also of pain coming from the mastoids and again can be associated with the middle ear where the eustachian tube opens. Still, it would not be directly related to chewing, and you would have other symptoms. I will recommend that you get this examined by the doctor to help pinpoint the cause, and there may have a simple solution to it.

|