Q. I get sudden jerks when I am about to sleep. Why?

Published on Dec 08, 2018

I am 31 years old, male. My problem is when I am about to go to sleep then there is a sudden jerk. I asked my wife. I do not jerk while sleeping or in middle of sleep. It happens just when I am about to fall asleep. Suddenly a quick jerk. It happens for a couple of times then finally I go to sleep. It happens during the daytime also if after lunch I go for a nap, there is a sudden jerk when I am about to fall asleep. Once I sleep then no issues till I get up. A few months back I had this then it disappeared and now I am getting it again. CT brain was done a few months back. The report does not have it now. But it was normal. No abnormality. No diabetes, no thyroid. Normal LFT, KFT. I m taking medicine for BP. Nothing else as of now. Complete health check-up was done. I was alcoholic for a few years. If I drink and sleep, no issues. I also have a little bit of depression and anxiety due to business or work issues. Please help me out with it.

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

Yes, you are suffering from hypnic jerks only. This is not a disease. It is a behavioral issue. I have successfully treated my patients with hypnic jerk by following measures. To reduce caffeine intake and particularly in evening. To stop alcohol and smoking completely, a drug known as Modafinil gives me very good response in such patients, lots of exercises. You can discuss with your doctor to prescribe you Modafinil.

How to stop my daughter's habit of stealing?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter has just turned seven. She has a strange habit of stealing. She steals at school, grocery stores and home. She is not allowed to go to friend's house because I am afraid she will steal there too. She steals stupid things like candy bars, gum, erasers, pencils and lip gloss. Sh...  Read Full »