Q. I get sudden jerks when I am about to sleep. Why?

Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Jerk or Behavior Disorder? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I am 31 years old, male. My problem is when I am about to go to sleep then there is a sudden jerk. I asked my wife. I do not jerk while sleeping or in middle of sleep. It happens just when I am about to fall asleep. Suddenly a quick jerk. It happens for a couple of times then finally I go to sleep. It happens during the daytime also if after lunch I go for a nap, there is a sudden jerk when I am about to fall asleep. Once I sleep then no issues till I get up. A few months back I had this then it disappeared and now I am getting it again. CT brain was done a few months back. The report does not have it now. But it was normal. No abnormality. No diabetes, no thyroid. Normal LFT, KFT. I m taking medicine for BP. Nothing else as of now. Complete health check-up was done. I was alcoholic for a few years. If I drink and sleep, no issues. I also have a little bit of depression and anxiety due to business or work issues. Please help me out with it.