I used to have recurrent jock itch that got cured when I used sprays and medications. But now resists treatment. Why?

Q. Why do I have recurrent jock itch that resists treatment now?

Answered by
Dr. Ashwini. V. Swamy
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 31, 2022

Hi doctor,

I have been having jock itch off and on for the last month. Usually, when I have had it, I would treat it with jock itch sprays and medicated powders, and it would go away in a day or two. I have just been having it off and on for the past month. I have had it a couple of times in the last 25 years, treated it myself, and it would go away in a couple of days. Please help.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

I understand your query.

I saw your pictures (attachments are hidden to protect the patient's identity). What you have is intertrigo, meaning an infection of the skin folds because of constant rubbing, occlusion, sweat, and many factors. When the skin is eroded because of the above-mentioned factors, usually the fungus invades the area and makes the rash worse and nonhealing.

My suggestion is,

Such intertrigo wounds will respond to topical antifungal creams like Ketoconazole or Miconazole. Medicated powders will help to keep the area dry and lessen friction. Keeping the area dry is very important to help it heal, and also, the area should be well-ventilated. If the infection is repeated, I would suggest you get your blood glucose level checked.

Hope this helps.

Thanks and regards.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
What are the ways to treat ear fungal flakes?

This is a very curable condition in which topical antifungal drops have to be used along with the above medication ... The mainstay of treatment is antibiotics, topical antifungal drops like Clot   Read full

How can I prevent the appearance of rash in between testicle and anal area?

It may be secondarily infected by candidal and streptococcus infections ...   Read full

My jock itch problem recurs once I stop medicine. Why?

Good you used antifungal, and antihistamine medicines for four weeks ... Lobate GM Neo cream (Clobetasol+Miconazole+Neomycin) steroid, antifungal and antibiotic combination ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dermatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.