Q. What could be the reason for fatigue and joint pain when all my tests are normal?

Dr. Bharat Patodiya
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 05, 2017 and last reviewed on: Feb 25, 2021

About 4.6 months ago, I became ill. It started with fatigue and joint pain and then progressed to the whole body pain. Every day I feel like I have the flu. I had consistent night sweats, day sweats and chills, loss of appetite at times, nausea on and off and terrible fatigue. I have a battery of tests done. It includes 12 CBCs with differentials, metabolic panels, full thyroid panel, Lymes, mono, adrenal gland testing, female hormones, blood cultures, vitamin testing, rheumatological testing, carcinoid test, allergy panel with celiacs and immunoglobulins and SPEP. Imaging studies I have had were MRI of the brain and spinal cord, cat scans of my chest and abdomen, ultrasound of my abdomen, pelvis and kidneys, HIDA scan, endoscopy and mammogram. The only things off were two CBCs had lower WBC readings at 3.8 and 3.9; my ANA is 1:1280, my ds-DNA was borderline positive and my vitamin D was low. Otherwise, all examinations were normal. I am so terrified with the thought that I have cancer. Would cancer have been picked up in all that? Am I missing something?

#

• Cancer is practically ruled out by doing all the scans. However, I am intrigued with the fear of cancer.
  • Do you have a family history of any cancer?
  • Regarding the joint pain, I will suggest you use Hydroxychloroquine if routine painkillers are not working. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take treatment with consent.

Revert with the answer to the above question to a medical oncologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-oncologist

There is no family history of cancer. I just feel like my symptoms correlate with lymphoma or leukemia. I feel so sick. If I look up my symptoms, then they seem to match those two conditions. I am on Plaquenil now, but only for a month. What on earth could be causing the extreme fatigue, night sweats, chills and appetite changes then? I always have some joint or muscle pain. I feel like I have the flu every day. We do have a strong family history of autoimmune disease. I am also scared of something neurological since I have weird brain fog symptoms too.

#

• Since the PET is negative, lymphoma and leukemia possibility is remote.
  • Likely the sick feeling is due to an autoimmune disorder, which is many times unclassifiable into one diagnosis.
  • Focus on healthy lifestyle including diet and exercise. Meditation like mindfulness might help you with anxiety feeling.

For further information consult a medical oncologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-oncologist

|