Q. What is your opinion about the growing lesion in my left kidney?

Dr. Shahil Khant
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 26, 2017 and last reviewed on: Mar 31, 2021

I have Li-Fraumeni syndrome. My concern is the growing lesion in my left kidney. The lesion has been moderately growing since three years in my left kidney. Although it is suggestive of angiomyolipoma, I feel quite nervous because of my genetic condition. I have received my final MRI report of the kidney with contrast. Could you please look at the attachment and inform me your opinion? I am currently overseas and cannot get back to my urologist for two weeks. Thanks in advance.

#

I have seen the reports sent by you (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• The lesion in the left kidney, which is increasing in size, is of concern and we should rule out malignancy.
  • It is not an acute emergency, but you should consult your urologist and plan your treatment.
  • There are two options to deal with it and the call depends on your urologist. The options are,
  1. Take percutaneous biopsy and treat accordingly.
  2. Directly remove the lesion by surgery.

For further information consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

Hello doctor I would like to inform you that I am going in for a partial nephrectomy on the 1st June. My urologist said whilst it is almost certainly angiomyolipoma he cannot rule out malignant transformation or that part of the tumour could be low grade sarcoma. I will attach part of report as I am curious to know what higher housefield density means. Sorry for poor quality. I will also send an image from MRI. The tumour was not exophytic this time last year. It appears to have grown 2mm per month. Do you think it appears to be angiomyolipoma? As surgery is coming closer I am getting anxious.
# hello.

i have seen your reports.

its better at present to go ahead with partial nephrectomy.

though it could be angiomyolipoma or anything else it does not matter much as size is more than 3 cms and with growth.... it requires removal in form of partial nephrectomy.

HU units usually indicate or differentiate between benign and malignant. but dont worry about hu units and all.

go ahead for partial nephrectomy that is beat for you.

thanks

|