HomeAnswersUrologykidney stonesI have severe pain and notice blood in my urine. Kindly help.

I am experiencing pain but stone has not passed. Should I see a doctor now?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At July 11, 2018
Reviewed AtJanuary 19, 2024

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I was diagnosed several months ago with bladder stones. Tests on stones indicated uric acid content also. I have been on Flomax, then one week ago started Avodart. Most days, I drink lots of water and sometimes coconut water. I pass stones every two or three weeks - different sizes. Within past 12 hours, I am experiencing lots of pain typical of when I am to pass a stone. However, the stone has not passed. Also, noticing blood in urine for the first time. I have passed urine about four times within the hour. I am aware that this is part of the symptoms but want to know if I should see a doctor immediately. Any other advice appreciated.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I hope the bladder stones you mentioned you had earlier had passed. Blood in urine after renal colic suggests stone may have reached the lower end of kidney tube (ureter) and may pass soon. However, it is best to confirm it has passed by getting an ultrasound done. Flomax (Tamsulosin) helps dilate lower end of the ureter and so may help stone to pass. You may take painkiller or antispasmodic for pain. Increased fluid intake helps. If the stone is of pure uric acid, taking citrus juices or taking potassium citrate syrup may dissolve the stone. I suggest, if bleeding continues, or there is pain or fever, or you have difficulty emptying your bladder, go see your doctor. Later, a metabolic workup of your 24-hour urine collection may be needed to see why you form so many stones.

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

Thanks for a very helpful answer. All points noted. I was able to pass a stone between the time I first contacted you and now. Still having pain when passing urine but the flow is more frequent and the volume is better.


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

Continue with Flomax and Potassium citrate. If urinary complaints persist, contact your doctor.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Saurabh Subhash Pandya
Dr. Saurabh Subhash Pandya


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy