Q. I am experiencing pain but stone has not passed. Should I see a doctor now?

Dr. Saurabh Subhash Pandya

I was diagnosed several months ago with bladder stones. Tests on stones indicated uric acid content also. I have been on Flomax, then one week ago started Avodart. Most days, I drink lots of water and sometimes coconut water. I pass stones every two or three weeks - different sizes. Within past 12 hours, I am experiencing lots of pain typical of when I am to pass a stone. However, the stone has not passed. Also, noticing blood in urine for the first time. I have passed urine about four times within the hour. I am aware that this is part of the symptoms but want to know if I should see a doctor immediately. Any other advice appreciated.

#

I hope the bladder stones you mentioned you had earlier had passed. Blood in urine after renal colic suggests stone may have reached the lower end of kidney tube (ureter) and may pass soon. However, it is best to confirm it has passed by getting an ultrasound done.

Flomax (Tamsulosin) helps dilate lower end of the ureter and so may help stone to pass. You may take painkiller or antispasmodic for pain. Increased fluid intake helps.

If the stone is of pure uric acid, taking citrus juices or taking potassium citrate syrup may dissolve the stone.

I suggest, if bleeding continues, or there is pain or fever, or you have difficulty emptying your bladder, go see your doctor.

Later, a metabolic workup of your 24-hour urine collection may be needed to see why you form so many stones.

For more information consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

Thanks for a very helpful answer. All points noted. I was able to pass a stone between the time I first contacted you and now. Still having pain when passing urine but the flow is more frequent and the volume is better.

#

Continue with Flomax and Potassium citrate. If urinary complaints persist, contact your doctor.

|