Q. Kindly explain whether kissing babies is deadly.

Dr. Preeti Puranik

Is kissing babies really deadly? I am sure you have seen the story in the news today about the newborn baby who is in critical condition after contracting meningitis from someone kissing her (according to her mother). I am working on a follow-up story on whether parents really do need to shield their babies from kisses/contact with other people.

Specific questions:

1) Do new parents really need to worry about someone making their baby very sick by kissing it?

2) How common are occurrences like the ones in the news today?

3) What should parents allow/not allow in terms of people having contact with newborn babies?

Dr. Preeti Puranik

Paediatrics
#

I do not recommend kissing a new born baby. Firstly, a newborn baby's immune system is not fully developed and is prone for infections. Secondly contact with the baby can transmit many types of bacteria and viruses which can cause various infections. Hence hand washing before touching the baby, handling only by mother and a couple of caretakers is ideal.

When a baby is kissed there can be transmission of various bacteria/germs which are normally present in the mouth of people.These generally do not cause any infection in healthy people who have a strong immune system. But these can cause infection in people who have low immunity and newborn baby is one among them. Kissing cannot cause meningitis per se but can transmit few bacteria which can first cause a mild respiratory infection which can spread to brain especially in low immunity people like newborns. Kissing can transmit viral infection like herpes simplex and infectious mononucleosis.

Hence it is better to avoid kissing the baby especially by friends and relatives, etc. Even parents should avoid if possible.

| 

Ringworm Infections

Article Overview: This article discusses in detail the preventive measures for ringworm infections. Read Article

Dr. Vinay Kumar

Medical Name: Tinea corporis This is an infective condition of the skin that is caused by fungus which has tendency to grow fast in the hot, humid regions of the body. Facts About Ringworm Infections: Ring worm infection affects people of all age groups and has a worldwide distribution. It...  Read Article

Syphilis - Symptoms, Risk Factors, Treatment, and Prevention

Article Overview: Syphilis is a highly contagious sexually transmitted disease (STD), which can result in fatal complications if left untreated. Read the article for information on its transmission, symptoms, and treatment. Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan
Venereologist

What Is Syphilis? Syphilis is a sexually transmitted bacterial infection, which is caused by the bacteria Treponema pallidum. It is a highly contagious disease, and it spreads primarily through oral and anal sex. This infection results in a sore on the genitals, mouth, or anus, which is usually pai...  Read Article

Ayurveda medicines to increase the Immunity?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a mother of a 3 year old. My son is suffering from cold and cough. He gets vomiting whenever he coughs continuously. Also, he gets cold and coughs very often in the last one year. Until 15 months of age, he did not get even a single episode of cold or a cough. I am so worried about ...  Read Full »