Q. I had a fall and got a bruise under the knee cap. Please advise.

Dr. Atul Prakash
Published on Oct 27, 2019

Yesterday, I went hiking and was running down a cliff. I was going too fast and landed on both my knees. They looked deformed and have bruising and swelling around the knee cap, on the knee cap, and under the knee cap. One of them has a big looking bruised ball under the knee cap. What should I do?

Dr. Atul Prakash

Fitness Expert Orthopedics And Traumatology Physiotherapy Spine Health
#

From your description I gather you have had a nasty fall on both your knees with one being more swollen than the other. You have not mentioned but I am assuming that you were able to stand and walk after the fall and did not need to be carried back. Also, assuming you are young and fit, you have not said anything about your age. The correct course of action will be to take an X-ray of the knee which had swollen up like a balloon. This is to be on the safer side.

I will also recommend resting the knee till the swelling comes down enough to allow you to start bending it comfortably. Apply ice, put a compression dressing and take some anti-inflammatory medicines. If the knee shows no fracture on X-ray and you continue to have feeling of something not quite right, MRI will be required to rule out a ligamentous injury.

What is the treatment for knee swelling?

Query: Hi doctor, My father is 50 years old. He has swelling in left knee and some liquid is coming out of the knee. He consulted an orthopedic doctor and he prescribed some tests and medicine to him. Also, the doctor said his bones are weak. Please explain me what should I do know. Also, let me know wheth...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. After seeing the clinical image (attachment removed to protect patient identity) it appears to be synovitis of the knee joint. At the age of 50,¬†osteoarthritis¬†being the most common cause of synovitis. It is not advisable to start with steroid small 6 mg tablet. Is your...  Read Full

I am getting knee pain even with a simple activity. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor,I am a 27 year old male. My weight is 85 kg and height is 179 cm. About 2 years ago, I participated in a half marathon. On that day, I started feeling pain in both knees above the patella. I think in quadriceps tendon. I followed RICE and the pain went off. But, after that, whenever I do s...  Read Full >>

Dr. Shakti A. Goel

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Considering your symptoms and pain, I have a few points to mention. It is possible that the pain is due to quadriceps pull. However, a condition called chondromalacia patellae should also be ruled out. Do you have pain in climbing upwards or upstairs? I wou...  Read Full

I am having pain in spine, upper back and numbness in fingers. Kindly advice.

Query: Hello doctor, I am having pain in the spine and upper back, light knee pain and lot of numbness in fingers. I have arthritis condition for nearly two years. Had initial knee injury in ligaments through bed corner hit. Had once the high pain in the knee subsided thereafter. The condition is mainly b...  Read Full >>

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The symptoms you have mentioned are that of neuropathy especially numbness and you also have a mechanical backache. If you can buy use following medicine, but with the consent of your specialist doctor: Tablet Etoshine MR (Etoricoxib)after lunch. Tablet Revlin M...  Read Full

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now