Q. I am getting knee pain even with a simple activity. Please help.

Dr. Shakti A. Goel
Published on Sep 21, 2016

I am a 27 year old male. My weight is 85 kg and height is 179 cm. About 2 years ago, I participated in a half marathon. On that day, I started feeling pain in both knees above the patella. I think in quadriceps tendon. I followed RICE and the pain went off. But, after that, whenever I do some running or exercise it again starts paining and I have to take rest for a week to reduce it. Recently, I have started going gym and doing light exercises. Even for this, it is paining very badly near and just above the patella. I feel pain while running, staircase movement and bending knees. I am not taking any medicine or medical help now. I am just using pain relieving ointment. Please help me.

Dr. Shakti A. Goel

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

Considering your symptoms and pain, I have a few points to mention.

• It is possible that the pain is due to quadriceps pull. However, a condition called chondromalacia patellae should also be ruled out.
  • Do you have pain in climbing upwards or upstairs?
  • I would recommend x-rays of the knee (anteroposterior, lateral and skyline patella view) to further manage it.
  • RICE would help (rest, ice, compression and elevation). Knee cap while walking should provide further relief.
  • Use of an analgesic and application of analgesic gel would help. I suggest tablet Ibuprofen with tablet Pantoprazole twice a day with local gel application.
  • I would recommend physiotherapy such as Q drill (quadriceps drill), QSE (quadriceps setting exercise) and hamstring strengthening along with SWD (shortwave diathermy) to the knee.

X-ray bilateral knee AP (standing), lateral and skyline patella.

1. Quadriceps pull.
2. Chondromalacia patellae.
3. Osteoarthritis.

Chondromalacia Patellae.

RICE, physiotherapy and medications.

1. Avoid running.
2. Follow lifestyle modification.
3. Try to lose weight and keep BMI (body mass index) below 25.

Revert back with the x-ray report to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

Other than running, what shall I do to loss my weight?

Dr. Shakti A. Goel

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

• Swimming and cycling should be more beneficial than running.
  • I would recommend your x-rays and follow the precautions as advised.

Revert back with the x-ray reports to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

Dolo 650 MG Tablet

Article Overview: Dolo 650 is the most common medicine used during a fever and to relieve mild to moderate pain. Because of the tablets ability to reduce fever and pain, it is called an antipyretic and analgesic agent. The antipyretic action is achieved by inhibiting the production of prostaglandin and by increasing the loss of heat from the body. This tablet inhibits the signals of pain that are sent to the brain, as a result, the pain experienced by the person is reduced after taking it. Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan
Pharmacologist

Overview of Dolo 650 Dolo 650 is the most common medicine used during a fever and to relieve mild to moderate pain. Because of the tablets ability to reduce fever and pain, it is called an antipyretic and analgesic agent. The antipyretic action is achieved by inhibiting the production of prostaglan...  Read Article

I have quad pain while running. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I have been having quad pain while running to the point where I cannot bear any weight. I have no pain the next day while walking, but the pain returns during a run.  Read Full »

Osteoarthritis of Knee

Article Overview: This is a patient information article on wear and tear in knee joint. It gives information regarding understanding of osteoarthritis of knee its causes, prevention and methods of treatment available. Read Article

Dr. Mohan Krishna

Osteoarthritis can affect any joint in the body. It is like wear and tear which develops over many years. It is common in people over 50 years of age, particularly in women. Both knees need not to be affected at the same time. The cartilage gradually roughens and becomes thin exposing the underlyin...  Read Article

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now