Q. What are the chances of getting infection during wound healing in a diabetic?

Dr. Albana Greca
Published on Mar 25, 2019

I fell about a month ago on my knees pretty hard in a gravel parking lot. I am a diabetic. I am just concerned about infection. Can I send you pictures or how does this work?

Dr. Albana Greca

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

As per pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity), I noticed the fall was really bad. The wound seems infected. Taking into account your personal history of diabetes, it might take longer for the wound to heal.

First, take good care of the wound. Wash with antiseptic soap or if you cannot find just use the soap as usual with warm water. Try to clean well to remove the hard parts. But do it gently. Might need more seances to get fully removed not at first time. Rinse well, pat dry well. Apply Betadine you find over-the-counter. Then apply triple antibiotic ointment two times a day for one week. Raise your leg. Apply cold compresses during the day away from the antibiotic ointment. If still, no improvement should consult with your caring doctor as might need prescription medicines.

How to manage pain and swelling following a twisted knee?

Query: Hi doctor,Two days ago I twisted my knee. It has been paining ever since. I can bend it all the way back, but when I try to put pressure on it or fully extend it, I am in so much pain. There is a swelling. It looks like my right knee cap is out more than the left one.  Read Full >>

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have a history of knee injury two days back, but you have been able to ambulate after the injury, even though it is painful to you. Initial management is to give rest to the affected joint and try to limit pain and hemarthrosis. In my opinion, since it is a twis...  Read Full

I have multiple health problems, all at once. What is wrong with me?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 28 and weigh 115 lbs. I have an ulcerative colitis flare up, a cold sore outbreak, genital herpes outbreak, and a knee injury that will not heal. The lab tests confirmed an infection with both the herpes viruses. What is happening to me? I work 65 hours a week as a geologist. M...  Read Full >>

Dr. Pratik Patil
General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. All these symptoms you described are associated with a single disease activity. This is a rheumatological disease. It is basically an inflammatory response to some unknown gene or immune cell. You will need to be evaluated for the same. Once diagnosed, the treatment is...  Read Full

I am having pain in spine, upper back and numbness in fingers. Kindly advice.

Query: Hello doctor, I am having pain in the spine and upper back, light knee pain and lot of numbness in fingers. I have arthritis condition for nearly two years. Had initial knee injury in ligaments through bed corner hit. Had once the high pain in the knee subsided thereafter. The condition is mainly b...  Read Full >>

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The symptoms you have mentioned are that of neuropathy especially numbness and you also have a mechanical backache. If you can buy use following medicine, but with the consent of your specialist doctor: Tablet Etoshine MR (Etoricoxib)after lunch. Tablet Revlin M...  Read Full