Q. I twisted my knee and in pain with swelling. How to manage this?

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Two days ago I twisted my knee. It has been paining ever since. I can bend it all the way back, but when I try to put pressure on it or fully extend it, I am in so much pain. There is a swelling. It looks like my right knee cap is out more than the left one.

#

You have a history of knee injury two days back, but you have been able to ambulate after the injury, even though it is painful to you. Initial management is to give rest to the affected joint and try to limit pain and hemarthrosis.

In my opinion, since it is a twisting injury, if at all, there may be some soft tissue injury, and usually no immediate intervention is required. You can do the following things :

1. Intensive ice packs for local application over the injured joint to keep pain and swelling to a bare minimum.

2. Knee Brace can be used to hold the knee in extension and restrict movements initially.

3. You can start with anti-inflammatory medication according to your body's suitability.

4. Local analgesic spray can also be used after ice therapy.

We will wait for next two weeks till acute pain and swelling have subsided, after that a thorough examination of your knee joint is required to understand what exact injury is there and maybe a MRI scan will be required.

|