Q. How can mobile knee be treated in a femur plasmacytoma patient?

Dr. Atul Prakash
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha

I would like to know an orthopedist opinion about my mother's situation. She had femur plasmacytoma 20 years ago and 4 prostheses, because she had many infections after the operations. She remained with her external popliteus paralyzed. Now, she began to feel his knee mobile, and she could not walk because of it. There are some noises too. A few doctors said she needs Megasystem-C Link prosthesis, which would totally replace her hip and knee. What is your advice? Is there any intermediate option, like replacing only the actual prosthesis and adding pieces of bone? We heard that, in case of choosing the Megasystem-C, that can lead to amputation. So, we are looking for a second opinion. I have attached the radiograph links, please check.

Dr. Atul Prakash

Fitness Expert Orthopedics And Traumatology Physiotherapy Spine Health
#

The entire femur seen is grossly osteoporotic and the knee is showing evidence of osteoarthritis though I could not see the knee in the AP view.

She needs a knee replacement but with the large hip prosthesis and very weak bone stock, I would support the use of a total femoral replacement. This, in reality, would need the whole femur to be removed but is not equivalent to amputation. The knee would have to be a constrained variety of her knee ligaments.

| 

For osteoporosis, is calcium supplement sufficient?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 31 year old female diagnosed with osteoporosis. Is Teriparatide treatment recommended? Or vitamin D supplements and Calcium tablets sufficient?  Read Full »

Is there any surgery to fix Osgood-Schlatter disease?

Query: Hi doctor, I have Osgood-Schlatter in both knees and have had it for three years now. Should it be healed by now? Is there anything you can do to fix it by surgery? My knee is not stable and giving way. I have been to more than 20 physio appointments for my knees to strengthen the muscles around, bu...  Read Full »

What is the future problem of having loose ligamental joints?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 23 years old, and my height is 5'11". Please look at my legs. I can walk, run and sit. I have loose ligamental joints (collateral ligaments) from childhood, and I have small patella. What is the problem of having loose ligamental joints in future? Is there any problem with small pat...  Read Full »

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now