Q. Is calcium supplement sufficient for osteoporosis at the age of 31?

Answered by
Dr. Lokesh
and medically reviewed by Dr. Dr. Sneha Kannan
Published on Feb 16, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 18, 2019

Hi doctor,

I am a 31 year old female diagnosed with osteoporosis. Is Teriparatide treatment recommended? Or vitamin D supplements and Calcium tablets sufficient?

Dr. Lokesh

Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Health Spine Surgery


Welcome to icliniq.com.

Teriparatide is an extreme treatment for osteoporosis and is always based on your DEXA scan (dual energy x-ray absorptiometry) report. Have you got your DEXA scan done? How have you been diagnosed with osteoporosis? Please specify.

If DEXA scan has not been done, then just take Calcium and vitamin D supplement, it will suffice. If done then revert back to me with the blood reports and scan report so that I can advise accurately.

Hi doctor,

Thank you for your response. Yes, I had a DEXA scan yesterday and the assessment reads as follows. There is an evidence of osteoporosis in lumbar vertebral body, in trochanter and total mean of both femurs. There is an evidence of severe osteoporosis in neck of both femurs. I have attached my DEXA scan results for your reference.

Dr. Lokesh

Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Health Spine Surgery


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

Your DEXA report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) indicates osteoporosis, but DEXA scan is only indicated for women above 60 years of age.

Teriparatide should not be given in child bearing age group as it has some potential side effects. Also, it can only be given once for a particular duration in lifetime and cannot be repeated.

What you should do now is, take Calcium supplements and vitamin D injections. Do other blood investigations like renal function test, liver function test and thyroid profile. Take opinion from an endocrinologist and find out the root cause of osteoporosis and treat that, rather than taking Teriparatide which is dangerous in child bearing age.

An endocrinologist will suggest you some other blood tests to check the hormonal levels in your blood. You should do an x-ray of pelvis both hips AP view and revert back after two months.

Ask a QueryAsk a Query Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Can vitamin D3 deficiency cause pain in different parts of my body?

Query: Hi, I am a 41 year old male weighing 79 kg. I have vitamin D3 deficiency for the past two years and for which I had Vitamin D3 tablets for three months. Since one year I have pain in my arms, fingers and many parts of the body. Please go through my attached test reports and advice some treatme...  Read Full »

My mother had slipped and hurt her back. X-ray says it is spondylolisthesis. Please provide an orthopaedic review.

Query: Hello Doctor, My mother age 55 years, has slipped and hurt her back. X-ray says it is spondylolisthesis L4/5 & L3/S1 grade with reduced l5/S1 disc spaces and compression fracture d11 vertebra. Please help.  Read Full »

Why does my wife have severe back pain after normal delivery?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife delivered a baby boy last month, which was a normal delivery. Whenever she moves, the muscles on the upper right ribs below the breast gets pulled. Also, she has a severe lower back ache, which is unbearable. Can you please suggest some medicines for it? For now, we are puttin...  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.