Q. I am experiencing sharp pain and clicks in my knee all over the medial and lateral regions. What could it be?

Dr. Ismail Kabakus

I am experiencing sharp continuous pain in my knee all over the medial and lateral regions. It is sore even to touch, hurts more after exercise or prolonged movement, and sometimes I even hear clicks. I have attached my knee MRI. Please help me with what needs to be done.

#

I have read your knee MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) (attachment removed to protect the patient's privacy) and understand it.

1) I see an abnormality in the posteromedial (in the back and towards the middle region) aspect of your knee. There is a small tear within the adductor magnus tendon (a strong, flexible tissue attached to the muscle of the medial thigh) where it inserts to the medial femoral condyle (the medial part of the knee) with an associated ganglion cyst (round lumps).

2)Repetitive and extensive inner thigh exercise may cause this problem and it is good that all the other ligaments and tendons look normal.

3) I suggest you avoid inner thigh exercises for a while and take the tablet Tylenol (Acetaminophen) 500 mg or 625 mg to help decrease inflammation and pain.

Repetitive and extensive inner thigh exercises.

Rest and pain killers.

Thank you for the reply.

I got injured during sports three years ago, and it hurts even after discontinuing sports. Will it need to be surgically treated to be pain-free? Also, is the clicking I feel under my knee cap when I squat related to the underlying swelling?

Please guide.

#

1)There is no patellofemoral cartilage (flexible connective tissue covering the knee cap) defect or knee effusion (fluid accumulation in and around the knee joint). Still, some edema (fluid retention) is seen under the knee cap, but we cannot be sure if that is the reason for the clicking sound you are experiencing.

2) I suggest you try conservative treatments options for now. If that does not help, you will need surgical treatment, such as resection (removal) of the ganglion cyst.

|