Q. My diabetic wife has knee pain and stiffness when sitting for a long time. Please help.

Dr. Vikas Jain
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 17, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 13, 2021

My wife is 69 years old. She is getting pain in the right knee (left side), burning sensation, and stiff legs after sitting for a long time to get up. It subsides after a few steps. There is no swelling or inflammation in the legs. How can I upload the x-rays?

She has diabetes for the past 12 years but not taking insulin. She takes Glycomet 500 mg twice daily, and her sugar levels are always normal. HbA1 c is always below 6 in all these years. She applies some ayurvedic oils and Diclofenac gel on her knees. She is taking calcium for many years. Now she is taking Citracal. She has taken cholecalciferol almost three times during the last two years. If pain and burning are more, she takes Aceclofenac or Ultracet tablets.

I am wondering whether her case is orthopedic or neurological. Kindly suggest how best can she manage this problem.

#

I have gone through clinical history and x-ray images (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The picture looks to be related to moderate arthritis of the knee, not like a neurological problem. And this needs proper treatment in terms of knee exercises, avoiding all floor activities, and some medicines for the cure and prevention of further arthritis.

Aging changes.

Neurogenic pain.

Early osteoarthritis of the knee.

Knee exercises, physiotherapy, anti-inflammatory medications, and cartilage protective medicines.

Avoid squatting and cross-legged sitting.

Can visit the clinic if possible for further opinions.

She often takes Ultracet and Aceclofenac whenever there is more pain. She takes two tablets twice daily of Pankajkasturi orthoherb tablets for pain and inflammation. She applies a hot water pack to the affected area twice daily and applies Orthofit oil regularly. Please name the cartilage protective medicine.

#

Take tablet Ostoshine (multivitamin) once daily.

|