Q. What are these red bumps on my knuckles?

This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 12, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 16, 2020

For as many years as I can remember I have these red bumps on my knuckles on the top of my hand. The funny thing is, every time when I am pregnant they disappear. Can you tell me what it could possibly be? I have eczema, but that does not go away during pregnancy.

#

I have seen your pictures and descriptions (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• It looks like knuckle hyperpigmentation.
  • It can occur in certain dermatological conditions like vitamin B12 deficiency, allergic contact dermatitis and SLE (systemic lupus erythematosus).
  • Are these patches itchy? Do you have any associated oral ulceration, joint pain and photosensitivity? This is just to rule out the above mentioned conditions.
  • I suggest you multivitamin tablet once daily for one month and apply mild topical steroid like Desonide cream once daily for three weeks. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and get the treatment with consent.

Vitamin B12 deficiency.

ANA titer (antinuclear antibody).

Revert back after a month to a dermatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|