Q. What are the reasons for back pain following C-section?

Dr. Pooja Pardhi
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 30, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 31 year old female. I had a cesarean delivery before eight years. Since then, I have been having some light to medium pain in the lower back.

In the last few months, the pain has increased and is regular every day now. It pains clearly when it is pressed. Also, in the last few weeks, the bone of neck pointed bone between both the shoulders also giving pain.

Also, I have pain in both the knees and backside muscles, some itching or irritation type of pain happens throughout the day. It becomes worse at night before sleeping.These problems get worse during monthly periods.

Currently, I am using copper-T and this also gives abdominal pain. I have attached all my blood tests and x-ray report for reference. Thank you.

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

#

I have gone through your query and can understand your health concern.

After cesarean section every woman experiences back pain for a few months, which is related to the surgery and spinal anesthesia. During surgery some of the nerves get cut while giving incision and this can give pain.

The other reason for pain is uterine contractions. But, eventually this pain gets subsided over a period of a few months.

One more cause for post cesarean pain is a deficiency of calcium in the body. Most of the calcium gets dissolved and secreted in breast milk and it causes weakness of bones and back pain. When this deficiency increases patient develops generalized body pain.

I would suggest you to check your serum calcium and vitamin D level. Also, you can do a bone mineral density test to know the condition of your bones. You can take calcium and vitamin D supplements.

For copper-T, consult your gynecologist and get it checked.

As you have mentioned that the pain increases during periods, this pain is due to uterine contractions which is exaggerated during periods.

I suggest tablet Meftal spas (Mefenamic acid) during periods, if you get severe pain. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

Calcium deficiency.

Serum calcium, vitamin D and bone mineral density.

Revert back with the report to an internal medicine physician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|