Q. Is surgery the only option to heal shoulder labrum tear?

Dr. Sumit Chawla
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 10, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 02, 2020

I am a 26 year old female. I sustained a shoulder injury while working out and it turned out to be a labrum tear. I can rotate my arm without any problem. I feel the pain only while playing badminton. The doctor has suggested surgery and I do not want to go for it. Kindly go through my reports and let me know if surgery is the only option for my labrum tear to heal. Also, I would like to continue badminton. Please help.

#

I have gone through your history as well as the MRI report attached to it (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• I would recommend surgery to you if you wish to continue playing badminton or any activity with overhead action or involving throwing activity.
  • If you strictly do not want surgery, then my recommendation is to stop badminton, go to a physiotherapist for TENS (transcutaneous electric nerve stimulation) or therapeutic ultrasound application over the painful area for 10 days.
  • Start shoulder exercises after three to four weeks, which I can recommend on a later date. This exercise protocol is going to continue for six months, followed by a reassessment of pain while playing.
  • If the condition does not resolve, then again surgery will be the option. If the tissues would have retracted, then another procedure for graft harvesting has to be added.
  • My recommendation is to forward with the surgery.

For further information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

|