Q. How to overcome insomnia during menstruation?

Dr. Usha Mohan
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 27, 2022 and last reviewed on: Jul 28, 2022

I am 21 years old, and I have no other illness. However, I always have sleep issues during my menstrual cycle. Why do I experience sleep problems during my periods? Are there any best sleeping positions during menstruation? Also, I would like to know about a few medications I can take to improve my sleep during my menstruation? Kindly suggest.

#

PMS (premenstrual syndrome) often causes sleeping problems. Women with PMS are at least twice likely to experience insomnia before and during their period. There are no tablets to help you sleep, and I would not suggest taking them. A good night's sleep is just as important as regular exercise and a healthy diet. Also, I suggest you to follow the lifestyle modifications mentioned below to improve your sleep.

1. Increase bright light exposure during the day.

2. Reduce blue light exposure in the evening.

3. Do not consume caffeine late in the day.

4. Reduce irregular or long daytime naps.

5. Try to sleep and wake at consistent times.

I hope this has helped you.

|