Q. Will sleep deprivation cause any permanent changes in brain?

Published on Mar 09, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 17, 2019

I do not used to sleep a lot from early age. Daily to the maximum I will sleep for 6-7 hours. Now, these days I find scary researches about how sleep deprivation can damage brain permanently. I want to know whether my condition too is also related to sleep deprivation. Will it cause any permanent subtle changes to my brain? Please help me.

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

Yes, the research has gained a lot of attention and we do consider the facts. But, what has been done cannot be reversed. However, if we go with clinical experience, usually people who modify back there lifestyle do not get any ill effects in life.

In fact, I would advice in such case that you should stop thinking that what is reversible and what is not. Start living your life normally and take help with a psychiatrist if there is great difficulty in sleeping. One can be treated easily with hypnotic drugs which help in controlling these issues.

| 

Is it a serious deprivation? If yes, is it reversible in my case? I get enough sleep now and will continue to do this.

#

The deprivation that you had is not severe and the damage cannot be determined. If you are worried you can go ahead for cardiac evaluation. Practically speaking if you are taking proper sleep now then you are safe and nothing would harm you because of that issue.

Reversibility is a term which can be used for a damage that is apparent. Since you do not have any apparent damage, you need not worry at all.

| 

I am experiencing some memory loss and concentration problems. And I am scared this will not get over. Is that true?

#

In that case start taking Coenzyme Q10 which has some role in improving memory and concentration the safe way. Start doing meditation and yoga which would help you with memory issues. Exercise regularly which has proved to be very beneficial in improving concentration and memory.

| 

Is it completely reversible? I would like to know this very broad and clear.

#

Try to understand that whatever you are feeling is not a disease that could be measured on basis of reversibility. If you follow the advice given then you would be fine again. So, in this way we can say that this is reversible.

| 

My cervix length is small. Can I do some exercise to get normal delivery?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 23-week pregnant with DCDA twin. My CL at week 19 was 28 mm and I was asked to take bed rest. Can I do any exercise because I prefer natural delivery? Currently, I am taking Progesterone tablets vaginally and also weekly Progesterone injection.  Read Full »

How to overcome insomnia and memory problems?

Query: Hi doctor, For the past three months I have been suffering from worsening insomnia. I fall asleep with great difficulty. I used to get a light fragmented sleep, where I wake up several times and have many dreams. In fact do not even know if I have fallen asleep or not. I just know that time has pass...  Read Full »

I have lack of concentration, memory problems and negative thoughts. Please help

Query: Hello doctor, I have symptoms related to the mind and body. I have no clarity in thinking. I cannot make any decisions. Even if I do, the moment I make the decision, I get negative thoughts and a sudden jerk in my mind with a sensation of fear. Also, I have on and off memory issues. It appears fine ...  Read Full »