Q. I cannot digest dairy products. What treatment should I take?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 12, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 27, 2020

I cannot digest dairy products, oily foods and sweets. These all give me loose motion. What treatment should I take to combat it? My current medication is Normaxin 2.5 mg. In the past, I had Mahacef OZ, Nougat capsules and Ilaprazole during aggravation. Please help.

#

I have a few questions for you.

• Did you get gallbladder surgery in the past? Have you consumed alcohol either in the past or present? If yes, how much?
  • Do you have abdominal pain with the loose stools? Have you seen any worms? Have you seen blood in your stools?
  • Had any recent travel? If yes, where? Do you have any rash or joint pains?

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Occasionally, I have abdominal pain with loose stools. Otherwise, I do not have any other problem. I do not drink alcohol and no gallbladder surgery undergone. I did not travel anywhere recently. I did not see blood or worms in my stools.

#

• First of all, we would have to investigate why are you having these symptoms.

1. Celiac disease.
2. Lactose or fructose intolerance.
3. Irritable bowel syndrome.
4. Inflammatory bowel disease.

CBC (complete blood count), vitamin D and B12, hydrogen breath test and colonoscopy.

Lactose intolerance.

I suggest you the following treatment. You consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
1. Lactaid tablets with each meal or lactose free diet for seven weeks to see if the diarrhea improves.
2. You can use Loperamide 2 mg twice daily as needed for diarrhea until we investigate the cause.

Revert back with the reports to an internal medicine physician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|