Q. Does femur length of 58 mm in 32-week scan indicate dwarfism in the fetus?

Dr. Varun Chaudhry
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

I had a scan at 32 weeks four days, and my femur length of the baby is 58 mm. Should I be concerned about dwarfism? It is a donor egg baby, and the genetic mother is only 5 feet. Kindly give your opinion.

#

I think the femur length is at the lower limit of normal. This would need to be correlated with other measurements like abdominal circumference and head circumference.

If all of these correlates, then maybe consider checking with your doctor.

I hope this was helpful.

I sent the AC and HC measurements in the message as an upload. The sonographer and consultant did not seem concerned as overall growth is 40 percentile. They did not even mention it. I just got concerned myself and wanted a second opinion. I understand it is the lower end of normal, but I wanted medical advice and a second opinion regarding fetal dwarfism. Kindly give your opinion.

#

Since everything is at the lower end of normal, we would not call it dwarfism (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). You do get constitutionally reduced parameters during pregnancy sometimes, but all do not get classified as dwarfism.

I hope this was helpful.

So instead, do you just think small baby? The mother's height is only 4 feet 11. So I am hoping it is just a small height baby and nothing like serious dwarfism or achondroplasia condition. Kindly give your opinion.

#

Yes, that is what I think from the information provided. Since you said the sonographers did not look concerned, that is reassuring.

I hope this was helpful. Please get back if you have further doubts.

|