Q. Newborn is spitting milk after burping and has laryngomalacia. Is that a matter of concern?

Dr. Deepak Patel

My daughter is 1 month and 26 days old. Her birth weight was 3.05 kg. Her current weight is 4.4 kg. She spits the milk after burping also. She has been diagnosed with laryngomalacia. I wanted to know whether it a matter of concern or not.

#

The current weight of the child is absolutely normal according to the birth weight of the child. There is no need to worry about this. Babies often spit very little amount of milk after feeding even after burping, this is a normal thing. If it is problematic, then the weight of the child does not increase. Since the weight of the child is normal according to age, I think this is normal and we should not worry about this. Also working should be done for around 10 minutes for effective results.

Laryngomalacia is a condition in which the muscles of the larynx are weak and as a result, there is stridor sound during breathing. This is not a serious issue. Laryngomalacia usually gets corrected around eight months of age. Sometimes calcium levels are low which can result in stridor like sound, so calcium level should be done in the child. If low, then calcium needs to be started.

I am taking Calcium supplement. Still, do I need to give her additional Calcium?

#

Do calcium levels in the child, if it is low, then only we need to start Calcium.

|